Moode Forum

Full Version: Running Moode Audio and Retropie together?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I only have one Raspberry Pi 4. With the current cost of a new Pi, I don't want to purchase another one. I thought about running both Moode and Retropie together, but I don't want anything to conflict and cause worse performance. 

On the Retropie website, they have instructions for installing Retropie on top of an existing OS. You can find what I'm talking about here. Does anyone know if this would cause any issues? Has anyone done this before? Any help is appreciated!
The first text in your link:

Code:
NOTE: The Rasberry Pi OS 'bullseye' release is not yet supported by RetroPie

And moOde uses bullseye.
(07-10-2022, 04:57 PM)Spacebar Wrote: [ -> ]I only have one Raspberry Pi 4. With the current cost of a new Pi, I don't want to purchase another one. I thought about running both Moode and Retropie together, but I don't want anything to conflict and cause worse performance. 

On the Retropie website, they have instructions for installing Retropie on top of an existing OS. You can find what I'm talking about here. Does anyone know if this would cause any issues? Has anyone done this before? Any help is appreciated!

I was going to suggest you "just do it" and report back but then I read their instructions

Quote:Install Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS

NOTE: The Rasberry Pi OS 'bullseye' release is not yet supported by RetroPie. Manual installation should use the previous/legacy release of Raspberry Pi OS, available here

This means you'd first have to downgrade to a moOde release prior to 8.0.0.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks to the both of you for the information. My apologies for the delayed response. I'm still new to this forum and haven't gotten notifications figured out yet.

I wonder if this would be possible if I were to host the entire Retropie folder from my Ubuntu NAS. I've never messed around with that side of things, but I'm sure if I tried around long enough, I could get it to work.

I'll probably stick to running them separately though. Retropie makes my Pi heat up like crazy. I've been dying to purchase some more Pi's, as well as a Google Coral, but with the current ship shortage, it probably won't happen until late next year.
@Spacebar

Pi4Bs do require decent cooling. What's the right solution depends on how they are encased. I've run a bare board with a passive heat sink on the CPU with good results; I've used Argon One cases, which are themselves essentially large heat sinks, with good results; I've never tried a fan or other active cooling solution.

As for moOde and RetroPie, have you looked into multiboot solutions? The Pi4B in particular works well with network booting. That opens up the possibility of using that Ubuntu NAS as the network server. There's also BerryBoot and the RPF's own NOOBS, either of which also work with some other model Pis. Here's one quick overview.

One obvious fly in the ointment is moOde's first-boot process. It assumes that there is unallocated space at the end of the memory card the moOde image was burned to and expands moOde's root file system to fill the card. You'd have to develop a workaround for this bit (e.g., poke it in the eye with a sharp stick, as my grandmother would say) and ensure whichever booting solution you chose contains an appropriately sized moOde file system from the get go. Something like that.

Don't know what else might get in the way of successful multibooting but it seems worth investigating. Not only Pis (even the Pi400, at least here) but other SBCs I like such as various Odroid models have become either 2expensium or unobtanium in recent times.

Regards,
Kent