Moode Forum

Full Version: Auto-shuffle does not distinguish between different albums of same album title
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I have discovered a minor (but sometimes annoying) issue with Auto-shuffle in Album mode: If two (or more) different albums share the same album title, e.g. "Greatest Hits" of different artists, the auto-shuffle feature currently does not distingush between them but would always add all of these albums at once.

The reason seems to be that the Album mode internally uses "ashuffle --group-by album" which just compares the album title tags rather than a (more distinct) combination of tags.

Possible fix: The ashuffle homepage suggests to use "ashuffle --by-album" for this purpose instead, where the "--by-album" option is a shortcut for "--group-by album date". This would still cause an issue if albums of the same title also share the same date tag, but would at least work in more/most cases.

Would it be possible to implement a fix for this issue?

Thanks & best regards
Jens

PS: I am running Moode 8.1.2
(09-05-2022, 10:20 PM)jenzd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I have discovered a minor (but sometimes annoying) issue with Auto-shuffle in Album mode: If two (or more) different albums share the same album title, e.g. "Greatest Hits" of different artists, the auto-shuffle feature currently does not distingush between them but would always add all of these albums at once.

The reason seems to be that the Album mode internally uses "ashuffle --group-by album" which just compares the album title tags rather than a (more distinct) combination of tags.

Possible fix: The ashuffle homepage suggests to use "ashuffle --by-album" for this purpose instead, where the "--by-album" option is a shortcut for "--group-by album date". This would still cause an issue if albums of the same title also share the same date tag, but would at least work in more/most cases.

Thanks & best regards
Jens

I may be wrong, but this is an MPD feature, not a moOde one.

I'd like to be corrected, though...
Cheers, Al.
(09-05-2022, 10:20 PM)jenzd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

Thanks & best regards
Jens

Link to ashuffle docs that describe this option ??
If date is added to the --group-by option then it prolly breaks compilation albums because the date tag belongs to each individual track.
(09-06-2022, 02:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]If date is added to the --group-by option then it prolly breaks compilation albums because the date tag belongs to each individual track.

Thanks for the quick replies. I see what you mean. For my collection just one date (publication year of the album) is used of for each track of that album. Other users might have made a different choice especially for compilation albums, of course.

Suggestion: Maybe "ashuffle --group-by album albumartist" would do the trick then? Just tested it locally and it would work perfectly (even better than "album date"). The tag "albumartist" should be unique for each album.

Thanks & best regards
Jens
I think what I might do is add an option for specifying the tags to be used in album mode. The 820 code is more or less frozen at this point so this feature will come in a > 8.2.0 release.
(09-06-2022, 08:49 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]I think what I might do is add an option for specifying the tags to be used in album mode. The 820 code is more or less frozen at this point so this feature will come in a > 8.2.0 release.

Hi Tim,

That would be the most flexible solution, of course. Thanks for considering it for one of the future releases. :-)

I will already mark the thread as "Solved" in the meantime.

Thanks a lot!
Jens
I solved this issue by modifying the album name to include the artist (in brackets).

As example, I have two albums entitled “Live at Pompeii” (ageing prog rockers on the forum will probably know the artists in question….. Smile ).
I have found out that it is rather easy to patch Moode to always use "--group-by album albumartist" instead of the default "--group-by album".

Just modify the file /var/www/inc/music-library.php. Search for the following line (near the end of the file):
Code:
        $mode = $_SESSION['ashuffle_mode'] == 'Album' ? '--group-by album ' : '';

And modify it (e.g. using "sudo nano /var/www/inc/music-library.php") to:
Code:
       $mode = $_SESSION['ashuffle_mode'] == 'Album' ? '--group-by album albumartist ' : '';

This completely fixed the auto-shuffle issue for me. Note however that this step needs to be repeated after each in-place update of Moode (which overwrites the file with a new version).

Thanks & best regards
Jens
Pages: 1 2