Moode Forum

Full Version: Subwoofer enhancements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey

I've been wondering if there's anything that can be done to enhance my sub's performance. It sounds a bit muddy to me though in reality, I have nothing to compare it with.
If it helps, my sub is connected to a pair of active Edifier speakers.

Anything I could do with CamillaDSP to perhaps isolate the frequencies and play around with them?
The Sub would need to be connected to an audio device that allowed CamillaDSP to see it as an individual output in order to be able to perform DSP on it.

I think in your case where the Sub is connected to the speaker the only way to to do DSP on it would if the speaker provided some DSP settings for example crossover frequency, volume, etc.
(01-16-2023, 02:39 PM)Uk0kA Wrote: [ -> ]Hey

I've been wondering if there's anything that can be done to enhance my sub's performance. It sounds a bit muddy to me though in reality, I have nothing to compare it with.
If it helps, my sub is connected to a pair of active Edifier speakers.

Anything I could do with CamillaDSP to perhaps isolate the frequencies and play around with them?

Hmm,

I would rather first check for the availability of a low-pass filter knob on the speakers (if your sub takes its signal from them) or a hi-pass on the sub, if the signal enters it first, and then proceeds to the speakers (in my case, I have an active sub getting both channels from the DAC, hi-passing the L/R channels to the active speakers at roughly 60 Hz - my sub covers 18-180Hz, and the speakers 44-24k, so there is an overlapping strip of about 140Hz, which I reduced to 15Hz with the hi-pass filter on the sub...).

This (limiting the frequency overlap) should already clean-up the muddiness; especially if the sub is not at the same distance from you as the speakers (which may cause phase problems, and thus augment the perception of confuse hum, depending on how big such a difference in distance is)

Just my 2c, not an audio engineer here, just talking from my own experience.
You could do what Nutul suggests and ensure that the sub and speakers are crossed over appropriately. Do this first.

After that, you could use REW to measure the system as a whole, calculate a convolution filter, and then upload that to CamillaDSP and set it to apply that convolution.

Note: Most of this is not nearly as straightforward as I have made it sound.