Moode Forum

Full Version: How do I create music folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi
I have just updated my Raspberry Pi 4 and installed Moode on a USB SSD. It loads really fast but I am having problems creating a music folder. Tried adding it in windows explorer but then Moode would not load. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Provide more details about your configuration for example are you trying to use your Windows PC to store your music files and then access them from moOde?
(01-23-2023, 12:45 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Provide more details about your configuration for example are you trying to use your Windows PC to store your music files and then access them from moOde?

Hi
I am trying to use the ssd as the main drive in my Pi4. I want to boot from this drive, which I can. I also want to store my my music files on here so it is all in one with no external drive to mess with.
Gotcha.

The easiest and fastest way to populate a USB drive with music is to connect it to a PC and use s PC file manager to do all the copying.

It should be formatted as Fat32 (VFAT) for max performance and compatibility with Linux.
(01-23-2023, 07:53 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Gotcha.

The easiest and fastest way to populate a USB drive with music is to connect it to a PC and use s PC file manager to do all the copying.

It should be formatted as Fat32 (VFAT) for max performance and compatibility with Linux.

During loading Moode it created a separated partition but that did not show up in windows or in Moode. How do I create the folder? Also do you have any experience with the Argon Soundshare one unit with built in dac. Does Moode support this?
Thanks for your help so far.
(01-23-2023, 10:57 PM)Johnn18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2023, 07:53 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Gotcha.

During loading Moode it created a separated partition but that did not show up in windows or in Moode. How do I create the folder? Also do you have any experience with the Argon Soundshare one unit with built in dac. Does Moode support this?
Thanks for your help so far.

Ok the SSD is the boot media. The second partition is EXT4 format and cannot be read by Windows or Mac

To create directories and copy files to the EXT4 partition you first need to turn on SMB (Samba) file sharing in System Config then use either Windows file manager or another utility to connect to the SDCARD share thats created by Samba. There can be issues with this approach for example slow copy speeds or permission problems and so YMMV.

Note that storing music files on the boot media is not recommended because file management is difficult and the music files won't be preserved when installing a new image. A more robust configuration is to use an uSD card for boot media and a separate USB drive or NAS for music files.

Don't worry about uSD speed and reliability. Just purchase an inexpensive Surveilance Camera grade card for example WD Purple QD101 https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-P...181&sr=1-4.
@Johnn18 

I agree with Tim regarding the use of a uSD card for the moOde system and an SSD for the music library.

You also sneaked in a separate question in your last post

Quote:Also do you have any experience with the Argon Soundshare one unit with built in dac. Does Moode support this?

I believe you are referring to the Nanomesher Nanosound One? I haven't seen this unit mentioned in the moOde forum before.

Reading their documentation they seem to focus entirely on Volumio users. Nevertheless, their hardware is designed for a Pi4B, on which moOde runs very well, and they direct Volumio users to select the HiFiBerry DAC+ driver, which is also included in the moOde distro, so I would not anticipate difficulty setting it up with moOde instead of with Volumio.

Apparently, Nanomesher includes an IR remote control which you'd have to set up on your own but there is related information submitted by moOde users to this forum's FAQ and Guides section.

Perhaps some other moOde forum reader has actual experience with this system. I recommend you direct further discussion of this system to a new thread so it will be more visible to others.

Regards,
Kent
Hi
I have purchased an argon soundshare one which has a built in dac hat, can you tell me if this is supported in your excellent software.
Thanks for your earlier reply it was most helpful and am now able to transfer music to my ssd, all be it very slowly.
Thanks
(01-25-2023, 11:44 AM)Johnn18 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
I have purchased an argon soundshare one which has a built in dac hat, can you tell me if this is supported in your excellent software.
Thanks for your earlier reply it was most helpful and am now able to transfer music to my ssd, all be it very slowly.
Thanks

An earlier post mentioned the HiFiBerry DAC+ driver is supposed to be used for the DAC. You can just pick that one from the list in Audio Config.
(01-23-2023, 07:34 PM)Johnn18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2023, 12:45 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Provide more details about your configuration for example are you trying to use your Windows PC to store your music files and then access them from moOde?

Hi
I am trying to use the ssd as the main drive in my Pi4. I want to boot from this drive, which I can. I also want to store my my music files on here so it is all in one with no external drive to mess with.

Hi Tim
Sorry to be a pain but a
Pages: 1 2