Moode Forum

Full Version: Picking up the thread about fix for Allo Piano 2.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In this thread (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=5354) a fix for the deprecation of the "Digital" has been made which will  be implemented with the upcoming mOoDE 8.3.0 release.
I implemented this fix in my 8.2.5 MoOde and noticed that sound was available on both pairs of connectors. I'm not sure if this is only my system or that it is universal for Allo Piano 2.1 dac's now with using "Master" vice "Digital" as mixer.

With "Digital" mixer in worker.php the volume setting was addressing only the first dac (left and right channel) of the Piano 2.1.
With the upcoming fix "Master" is used, which addresses both dac's, consequently both channels will produce sound. Not a real problem, but not an expected behaviour for the '2.0' setting, as per the technical manual only sound on de L+R channel should be available.
This can be corrected bij implementing a few lines of extra code in worker.php (Piano 2.1 section) after resetting the volume to 100% (if that was requested).

Code:
if $subMode == '2.0' {
    sysCmd('amixer -c0 sset "Subwoofer" 0');
}

This will mute the subwoofer outputs.
usecase: possibly users have a subwoofer attached to the subwoofer outlets, and still want to test only stereo without subwoofer
Sorry for proposing an aditional fix for the upcoming fix.
Regards
Wim
Very confusing regarding the changes to the piano driver.

- Do you have the piano DSP files installed?
- I don't recall, does the Digital mixer show up in alsamixer, and is it controllable?
Quote:- Do you have the piano DSP files installed?

- I don't recall, does the Digital mixer show up in alsamixer, and is it controllable?
DSP files are not installed
Digital mixer does not show up as it is deprecated.
Screenshot what is showing in alsamixer. Mixers "Master" and "Subwoofer" can be controlled manually or with commands.
In the screenshot "Subwoofer" is set to zero by me.
The MoOde version installed is a fresh 8.2.5 version. The only changes made is the additional lines in worker.php.
For the total picture the contents of my config.txt
Code:
[cm4]
otg_mode=1

[pi4]
hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1
hdmi_force_hotplug:1=1

[all]
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
disable_splash=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_blanking=1
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=0
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=allo-piano-dac-plus-pcm512x-audio,glb_mclk
dtoverlay=disable-wifi
dtoverlay=disable-bt

# Disable Ethernet LED's
dtparam=eth_led0=14
dtparam=eth_led1=14

# CPU
initial_turbo=60
arm_freq=1000
over_voltage=-2

# SDRAM
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage_sdram=-2

# GPU
core_freq=400
gpu_freq=300
gpu_mem=32

# Prevent enabling composite video out on disabling HDMI
enable_tvout=0
(03-03-2023, 02:39 PM)Sunfish Wrote: [ -> ]In this thread (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=5354) a fix for the deprecation of the "Digital" has been made which will  be implemented with the upcoming mOoDE 8.3.0 release.
I implemented this fix in my 8.2.5 MoOde and noticed that sound was available on both pairs of connectors. I'm not sure if this is only my system or that it is universal for Allo Piano 2.1 dac's now with using "Master" vice "Digital" as mixer.

With "Digital" mixer in worker.php the volume setting was addressing only the first dac (left and right channel) of the Piano 2.1.
With the upcoming fix "Master" is used, which addresses both dac's, consequently both channels will produce sound. Not a real problem, but not an expected behaviour for the '2.0' setting, as per the technical manual only sound on de L+R channel should be available.
This can be corrected bij implementing a few lines of extra code in worker.php (Piano 2.1 section) after resetting the volume to 100% (if that was requested).

Code:
if $subMode == '2.0' {
    sysCmd('amixer -c0 sset "Subwoofer" 0');
}

This will mute the subwoofer outputs.
usecase: possibly users have a subwoofer attached to the subwoofer outlets, and still want to test only stereo without subwoofer
Sorry for proposing an aditional fix for the upcoming fix.
Regards
Wim

Ok, you are saying that the new behavior does not result in the driver automatically muting the subwoofer channels when the DAC is configured as Stereo.  

Just for reference the original help states: "Sub L/R muted"

Code:
Dual-Mono:   Main DAC outputs L ch and Sub DAC outputs R ch (L/mute mute/R).
Dual-Stereo: Both DAC's output L/R channels (L/R L/R).
Stereo:      All freq to Main L/R, Sub L/R muted
Subwoofer:   2.1/2.2 (High freq to main L/R, Low freq to sub L / sub L/R)

Having the Sub not muted and passing full frequency signal when in Stereo mode enables the case where user wanted to use the crossover in their Sub instead of the Piano crossover which requires the DSP files.

I'm inclined to just update the help. "Stereo: All freq to Main L/R AND Sub L/R"
Quote:I'm inclined to just update the help. "Stereo: All freq to Main L/R AND Sub L/R"

I can live with that.
regards