Moode Forum

Full Version: Need some help with: volume type: hardware, software, fixed or null?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I searched the forum but got no hits with these keywords. Is there an explanation somewhere which gives mroe details than this:

Quote:- Hardware: Use audio device on-board volume controller.
- Software: Use MPD software volume routine (32 bit float with dither).
- Fixed (0dB output): Assumes external analog or digital volume controller is used.
CAUTION: Set volume to a low level before changing this option.
Fixed (0dB) will output 100% volume level. The actual fixed level can be set by adjusting Max ALSA volume.

I am running moode on a RPI zero w with a DAC which connects to an AMP. Please see signature for more details.

What do I choose?
(03-13-2023, 09:27 AM)ovizii Wrote: [ -> ]I searched the forum but got no hits with these keywords. Is there an explanation somewhere which gives mroe details than this:

Quote:- Hardware: Use audio device on-board volume controller.
- Software: Use MPD software volume routine (32 bit float with dither).
- Fixed (0dB output): Assumes external analog or digital volume controller is used.
CAUTION: Set volume to a low level before changing this option.
Fixed (0dB) will output 100% volume level. The actual fixed level can be set by adjusting Max ALSA volume.

I am running moode on a RPI zero w with a DAC which connects to an AMP. Please see signature for more details.

What do I choose?

- If you want to control volume using the moOde knob then choose Hardware (if it appears in the list) otherwise Software.

If your Amp has a volume control and you want to use that instead of the moOde knob then select Fixed (0dB). MoOde will output 100% volume level to your Amp.

Just remember the caution line when changing Volume type options.
"CAUTION: Set volume to a low level before changing this option."
Ah, OK, I get it, with fixed I'd lose the option of setting volume via the moode knob or via UPNP. I guess I'll stay with Hardware and set the amp knob to max, so the amplification is done closer to the audio source.
(03-13-2023, 11:32 AM)ovizii Wrote: [ -> ](...) and set the amp knob to max (...)

I wouldn't do that... I mean, anywhere between 10 o'clock and 3 o'clock is ok... MAX is too much IMO.
But then again, it's your gear and your ears :-)
(03-13-2023, 11:32 AM)ovizii Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, OK, I get it, with fixed I'd lose the option of setting volume via the moode knob or via UPNP. I guess I'll stay with Hardware and set the amp knob to max, so the amplification is done closer to the audio source.

Better to calibrate the overall system volume for least distortion rather that just set Amp volume to max.

1. Turn the Amp volume down to 0 
2. Set moOde volume knob to 100
3. Play a track that represents the type of music  you listen to most often
4. Gradually raise the Amp volume to the loudest you would ever listen at
5. Lower the moOde volume knob to your typical listening level

After this procedure the Amp volume will be set so that the least amount of moOde volume attenuation will be required to achieve your typical listening level.
Thanks. That sounds way better than what I was doing, will follow your advice.