Moode Forum

Full Version: version label in boot partition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This may sound trivial but I find it very useful.

Once one has a few uSD cards lying around the question is always, what's on them. My attempts at stick-on labels have all failed and my bookkeeping always falls behind when I depend on permanent-marker labels like "A", "B", etc.

I usually find myself with past, current, and beta versions of moOde lying around. I've developed the habit of adding an empty file to the boot partition with an appropriate file name such as "moode-r43" or "moode-r44f";  more baroque ones if I've added any experimental features. This way I can quickly identify the card's contents even in Windows with its brain-dead file browser.

I do this before first boot, at the same time I'm adding the moodecfg.txt file, but I'm wondering if it's worth "electronically labeling" the moOde images themselves? 

The file doesn't have to be empty, of course, but that's a different discussion.

Regards,
Kent
uSD cards are a nuisance when it comes to identifying them.
As I primarily use Windows, when I remember, I label the volume, as you might with any type of storage.

Ian
(12-03-2018, 02:12 PM)BackinBlack Wrote: [ -> ]uSD cards are a nuisance when it comes to identifying them.
As I primarily use Windows, when I remember, I label the volume, as you might with any type of storage.

Ian

That works too. One has to be mindful of the limitations on legal volume names (like no full-stops "."), but that's just a detail. I find it easier to add a file than call up a program to label a disc volume, but horses for courses and all that.
Maybe we could do something with

Code:
/etc/update-motd.d/00-moodeos-header

But it would only be of benefit after logging in SSH.