Moode Forum
moOde 5 Beta 1 - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: moOde 5 Beta 1 (/showthread.php?tid=1183)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: moOde 5 Beta Program - philrandal - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 02:54 AM)HemiRick Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:01 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'd argue that most use the Tag and Album views of the Library and only a small percentage use the Folder view for finding music. It's still useful but it falls into a niche method for navigating a collection.

I use folder view because the other views depend on good tags and somehow I'm very tag deficient.

I use folder view because that's how I have things ordered on my NAS, Artist/Album, etc.

I also use podget to store podcasts on my NAS, so folder view is the way for that as well.

Here's a small wish: in folder view of Radio, search is the new clever multiselection view, but makes it difficult to filter stations by name.  To find and list all (for example) BBC stations I have to switch to the radio station logo encumbered view where search works as before.

Quirky old me is one of the few who parses words far faster than they can parse icons, and finds images a real pain.

Cheers,

Phil

RE: moOde 5 Beta Program - Tim Curtis - 03-12-2019

It's a bit hard to explain but the search function in the Folder view searches the MPD database by tag=value where tag is an id3 metadata tag for example Artist, Album, Title, etc. MPD also support the pseudo tag 'any' for searches.

This type of search works perfectly for tagged song files but radio stations are actually playlist files (.pls) located in the RADIO folder. Since playlist files can't be assigned tags the search function in Folder view is not really useful for finding radio stations.

In the Radio, Tag and Album views however the search function performs a text search on the list of displayed items and thus is useful for finding radio stations, albums or artists.

-Tim

RE: moOde 5 Beta Program - TheOldPresbyope - 03-12-2019

@philrandal

Quote:Quirky old me is one of the few who parses words far faster than they can parse icons, and finds images a real pain.

There are more of us hanging around here than you might think Smile

To steal an aphorism from a fellow curmudgeon, "if icons are so great, why aren't we still using hieroglyphics?"

Regards,
Kent

lol, but as the saying goes

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Btw, bluez 5.5 and bluez-alsa 1.3.1 dev are testing out :-)

RE: moOde 5 Beta Program - swizzle - 03-12-2019

(03-12-2019, 03:49 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @philrandal

Quote:Quirky old me is one of the few who parses words far faster than they can parse icons, and finds images a real pain.

There are more of us hanging around here than you might think Smile

To steal an aphorism from a fellow curmudgeon, "if icons are so great, why aren't we still using hieroglyphics?"

He said while using an emoji.  Tongue

I’d like to move radio stations out of the folder view and into the radio view where you’d be able to toggle between the current icon view and a list view similar to the radio folder (and moode would remember the state so you wouldn’t have to see the icons if you didn’t want to) as that seems more logical to me but the way the program is structured that’d be a pretty major undertaking.

The library is loaded at start (in parallel with everything else loading in so the impact is minimal) now so there’s no real performance advantage to the folder view aside from the layout being less complex so it’ll run better on slower devices.

The main problem is I don’t think Tim or I actively use the folder view so it doesn’t get the focus some of the other areas do.

RE: moOde 5 Beta Program - Tim Curtis - 03-13-2019

Good idea. Search would work perfectly, the list would gain a natural sort order and the RADIO folder could finally be gone from Folder view :-)

Conceptually, the List view is just the logo view w/o the logos and instead of a grid layout it's a list. Maybe less work than it looks?

-Tim

RE: moOde 5 Beta Program - swizzle - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 12:23 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Good idea. Search would work perfectly, the list would gain a natural sort order and the RADIO folder could finally be gone from Folder view :-)

Conceptually, the List view is just the logo view w/o the logos and instead of a grid layout it's a list. Maybe less work than it looks?

Hmm, yeah I was thinking grafting in part of the folder view layout but now that you mention it we could pretty easily just cleanse those pesky images from the list and reformat the text to a similar style to the radio folder. Does that meet the needs of the folder view people or were there other issues too?

Yes, I believe it does. Its essentially just list vs image grid presentation.

Of course the other option is just to nuke RADIO from the Folder view cos its sort of broken anyway.

The current Radio view has perfect search, logos etc which is really nice :-) Maybe no need for a list view after all.