Moode Forum
support HW - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Feature requests (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: support HW (/showthread.php?tid=3667)

support HW - AndromedaStrain - 04-01-2021

Hello I tried the new MoOde 7.1.0 on my RPi farm i have various DAC caps with different chip brands ESS, AKM ... lately I would have liked to try to install MoOde on other SBCs I got myself a Khadas VIM3 with its Tone1 DAC which should guarantee superior performance for many areas of both audio coding and computer learning and development applications on neural networks, compared to those of an RPi. Would it be possible to create a version compatible with VIM platform, would it be possible to recompile the kernel for this HW? how much should be changed? I know that there is already a version of Volumio for the VIM platform but I strongly believe in the superior potential of MoOde compared to Volumio!

it can be done??

RE: support HW - TheOldPresbyope - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 05:55 PM)AndromedaStrain Wrote: can be installed over Khadas VIM3 + Tone1 DAC?

As far as I know the Khadas VIM3 does not support Raspberry Pi OS (formerly known as Raspbian) so I doubt seriously that moOde will run on it. You can try but you will be on your own.

The Tone1 DAC, on the other hand, is just another USB DAC---although a very good one---which works fine when driven by moOde running on an RPi. I should know; I have had one in daily use since I bought it 18 months ago.

Regards,
Kent

RE: support HW - vinnn - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 06:36 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 05:55 PM)AndromedaStrain Wrote: can be installed over Khadas VIM3 + Tone1 DAC?

As far as I know the Khadas VIM3 does not support Raspberry Pi OS (formerly known as Raspbian) so I doubt seriously that moOde will run on it. You can try but you will be on your own.

The Tone1 DAC, on the other hand, is just another USB DAC---although a very good one---which works fine when driven by moOde running on an RPi. I should know; I have had one in daily use since I bought it 18 months ago.

Regards,
Kent

You're right Kent, the Khadas VIM is an AMLogic SoC based board which is a different architecture to the Pi's ARM v7 SoC. Not compatible with the Pi at all.

RE: support HW - AndromedaStrain - 04-01-2021

[quote pid='32213' dateline='1617302168']

Regards,
Kent
[/quote]

yes I confirm that...
before  to assemby vim3 with Tone , I've try to play Tone1 with MoOde on RPi as DAC decoder via USB ( with driver passed  directly from Tone to MoOde with this "none" config)
but for VIM is avaible Volumio

that S.O. is a derived version from RaspiFI that olso derived from Rasbian...
that mean Volumio and MoOde are brothers... DNA is the same, charatters different but same root...

RE: support HW - AndromedaStrain - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 09:06 PM)vinnn Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

You're right Kent, the Khadas VIM is an AMLogic SoC based board which is a different architecture to the Pi's ARM v7 SoC. Not compatible with the Pi at all.
and what can you tell me and explain about the fact that Volumio works on VIM platforms while MoOde does not
... mmmm it seems a strange thought to me ...

RE: support HW - TheOldPresbyope - 04-01-2021

@AndromedaStrain

The roots of the moOde audio player are well known but that is ancient history. This is now 2021.

The moOde audio player is designed for, implemented on, and supported only in the case of Raspberry Pi models Zero to 4 running the Raspberry Pi OS.

Since this is an open source project, you are free to fork the repository and try to port the system to a different OS and/or different hardware platform.

Regards,
Kent

RE: support HW - Tim Curtis - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 11:05 PM)AndromedaStrain Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 09:06 PM)vinnn Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

and what can you tell me and explain about the fact that Volumio works on VIM platforms while MoOde does not
... mmmm it seems a strange thought to me ...

Because the moOde project is devoted to single platform Raspberry Pi family of SBC's. Our code is optimized for and dependent on Raspberry Pi hardware and RaspiOS. This has been a highly successful approach that we continue to pursue going forward.

You will need to look elsewhere for projects that implement cross-platform solutions.