Moode Forum
Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release (/showthread.php?tid=4697)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - Tim Curtis - 02-15-2022

(02-15-2022, 09:49 PM)OldNick Wrote: I'm of the view that the 64 bit option offered a slight uptick in clarity at high frequencies.  Subtle to be sure,  but there, I would not speculate why this should be but it is easily identifiable once recognized.  I've had no issues with crashing or other with the 64-bit kernel option enabled.  To put this in perspective, the improvement is not of the same magnitude as say, running the cpu in 'performance' mode.  Not sure how this trades off with potential improvements in v8.0.

There won't be a 64-bit kernel option in the UI for moOde 8 because of the issues reported where it caused MPD to crash during database update.

At some point though during the 8 series we will release moOde for the new 64-bit RaspiOS Bullseye.

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - OldNick - 02-15-2022

(02-15-2022, 10:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 09:49 PM)OldNick Wrote: I'm of the view that the 64 bit option offered a slight uptick in clarity at high frequencies.  Subtle to be sure,  but there, I would not speculate why this should be but it is easily identifiable once recognized.  I've had no issues with crashing or other with the 64-bit kernel option enabled.  To put this in perspective, the improvement is not of the same magnitude as say, running the cpu in 'performance' mode.  Not sure how this trades off with potential improvements in v8.0.

There won't be a 64-bit kernel option in the UI for moOde 8 because of the issues reported where it caused MPD to crash during database update.

At some point though during the 8 series we will release moOde for the new 64-bit RaspiOS Bullseye.

Sounds good to me. Big Grin  As noted, I've had no issues with database update under 64-bit but obviously others have.  Looking forward to test driving the new version. Thanks for your work on this project..I'll get a donation in order soon..

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - apastuszak - 02-16-2022

Are there any plans to decouple Moode from Raspbian, so I update the OS without updating Moode Audio.

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - Tim Curtis - 02-16-2022

moOde is dependent on parts of RaspiOS so I'm not sure what you mean by "decouple moOde from Raspbian"?

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - apastuszak - 02-16-2022

(02-16-2022, 01:53 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde is dependent on parts of RaspiOS so I'm not sure what you mean by "decouple moOde from Raspbian"?

I have sshed into my Moode pi before and run a sudo apt update followed by a sudo apt upgrade and broken Moode.

(02-16-2022, 01:22 PM)apastuszak Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 01:53 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde is dependent on parts of RaspiOS so I'm not sure what you mean by "decouple moOde from Raspbian"?

I have sshed into my Moode pi before and run a sudo apt update followed by a sudo apt upgrade and broken Moode.

That can still happen with moOde 8 even though its being built using Debian Package Management which provides protections against changes to moOde and the components moOde depends on.

Our position on OS upgrades is the same as that of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Below is a quote from their Bullseye announcement.

"If you really want to try upgrading an existing image, there are some instructions on the forums here – but we don’t support or recommend this, so be warned: you are on your own if anything breaks! Make a backup of your SD card first so you can always go back to a working system if you need to; the SD Card Copier application in Raspberry Pi OS is a good tool for this."

Scroll down to "How do I get it?" for the full text.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-os-debian-bullseye/

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - the_bertrum - 02-16-2022

(02-16-2022, 01:22 PM)apastuszak Wrote:

I like to look at it this way:
If your network streaming music player was from Naim or Cambridge Audio, would you expect to be able to upgrade the underlying OS outside of the manufacturer's software updates?  MoOde is exactly the same, a music player that uses components from RaspiOS along with a number of other components.  MoOde is not a software application that runs on RaspiOS.

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - philrandal - 02-16-2022

Quote:MoOde is not a software application that runs on RaspiOS.

I beg to differ here.   I'd expect to be able to apply any base OS security updates without breaking MoOde.

It would be nice if we had the option to select a standard Raspi OS kernel as an option if we only used USB DACs, too.

(02-16-2022, 05:41 PM)philrandal Wrote:
Quote:MoOde is not a software application that runs on RaspiOS.

I beg to differ here.   I'd expect to be able to apply any base OS security updates without breaking MoOde.

It would be nice if we had the option to select a standard Raspi OS kernel as an option if we only used USB DACs, too.

As long as the security updates don't alter the components or configurations that moOde depends on or how moOde and its components interact with the rest of RaspiOS you should be ok otherwise there could be breakage. There is no such thing as bullet proof, risk free OS updates.

By "standard Raspi OS kernel" do you mean the kernel that ships with the official release of RaspiOS or thats provided in a RaspiOS apt upgrade?

If the answer is yes then then thats the kernel we use and support as part of our build process for moOde 8. What we can't support is a kernel upgrade applied by user to our official release because (a) there would be breakage because it would not include the custom drivers we add to the stock kernel and (b) we would not have tested it to see if it breaks anything. This is all just standard stuff in the application support space :-)

I'd encourage you to take a look at our new packaging and build process. It's based on standard Debian Package Management and pi-gen image generation. https://github.com/moode-player

RE: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release - phorize - 02-19-2022

A bullseye based release would be welcome. @Tim Curtis are you planning a beta image prior to production release of 8.0?