Moode Forum
Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation (/showthread.php?tid=5252)

Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - feh123 - 12-20-2022

Hi, I like to have access to internet radio when on vacation. I was thinking of taking my Moode/RPI4 I use at home. It has a Hifiberry Digi HAT so I can attach hifi speakers for the audio output.
For a vacation I was going to forget the speakers and use Airplay (or bluetooth) to a Sonos Roam.

Does anyone do this? I have had a few attempts on my home system to airplay or bluetooth and output to the Sonos. I can pair with Sonos via bluetooth (no luck yet with AirPlay). Things then seems to go wrong. I can open a radio station but it does not play on the sonos.

Does anyone have the setup config for this they can share? Thanks. Fred.

RE: Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - GStevens - 12-20-2022

Is it possible to output via AirPlay or Bluetooth? - I thought they were just inputs.

Geoff

RE: Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - feh123 - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 05:21 PM)GStevens Wrote: Is it possible to output via AirPlay or Bluetooth? - I thought they were just inputs.

Geoff

Thanks for the fast response. I had this analogy. I can bluetooth pair my Sonos to my iPad and play Spotify from my iPad through the Sonos speaker. So I thought the same would work for Moode. But you are right. I seem to have misunderstood Moode and it doesn't seem to be set up that way. Am I completely stuck then? No way to use a bluetooth speaker?

RE: Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - GStevens - 12-20-2022

Looking at earlier posts (search Bluetooth), I think that you should be able to output - set audio output to Bluetooth. You will need to enable Bluetooth.

Geoff

RE: Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - TheOldPresbyope - 12-20-2022

Yes, you can output to an external device via Bluetooth. No, you can't output via AirPlay.

Once you've turned on the Bluetooth controller (on the Renderers page) click on "Open Bluetooth control". On the page which opens up, first go through the scan/pair/connect process to get connected with your external device. Then, on the same page under "Audio output", change from "Local audio" to "Bluetooth speaker".

I'm listening to moOde via a JBL BT speaker as I write this.

Regards,
Kent

RE: Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - feh123 - 12-21-2022

(12-20-2022, 06:50 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Yes, you can output to an external device via Bluetooth. No, you can't output via AirPlay.

Once you've turned on the Bluetooth controller (on the Renderers page) click on "Open Bluetooth control". On the page which opens up, first go through the scan/pair/connect process to get connected with your external device. Then, on the same page under "Audio output", change from "Local audio" to "Bluetooth speaker".

Regards,
Kent
Thanks to both of you for your help. I am trying the bluetooth now. At the moment I can pair my Arcam miniBlink but the Sonos Roam fails. However I connect to the Arcam, change the ourtput to bluetooth speaker but I get no sound. I have a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro as the output device under Audio. Do I need to change these setting too? I tried making I2S device none but that did not work. Thanks!

(12-21-2022, 09:22 AM)feh123 Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 06:50 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Yes, you can output to an external device via Bluetooth. No, you can't output via AirPlay.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks to both of you for your help. I am trying the bluetooth now. At the moment I can pair my Arcam miniBlink but the Sonos Roam fails. However I connect to the Arcam, change the ourtput to bluetooth speaker but I get no sound. I have a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro as the output device under Audio. Do I need to change these setting too? I tried making I2S device none but that did not work. Thanks!

Just to add if I am playing a radio via the Hifiberry HAT audio output and setup a Arcam mBlink to my bluetooth speaker as soon as a hit connect to Arcam the sound ends. If I disconnect from the bluetooth the radio sound returns. I cannot find a setting that fixes this.

RE: Using Moode/RPI4 when on vacation - Tim Curtis - 12-21-2022

(12-21-2022, 10:40 AM)feh123 Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

Just to add if I am playing a radio via the Hifiberry HAT audio output and setup a Arcam mBlink to my bluetooth speaker as soon as a hit connect to Arcam the sound ends. If I disconnect from the bluetooth the radio sound returns. I cannot find a setting that fixes this.

What version of moOde are you using?

1. Try increasing the volume on the speaker itself.
2. In Audio Config there is a "Resume MPD" setting that controls whether MPD resumes playback after Bluetooth disconnects.
3. Post a screen shot of the Bluetooth Control screen after connecting to the Sonos speaker.

(12-21-2022, 11:41 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 10:40 AM)feh123 Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

What version of moOde are you using?

1. Try increasing the volume on the speaker itself.
2. In Audio Config there is a "Resume MPD" setting that controls whether MPD resumes playback after Bluetooth disconnects.
3. Post a screen shot of the Bluetooth Control screen after connecting to the Sonos speaker.
I am using 8.2.3. I tried increasing the speaker volume. I have set resume MPD. As soon as I hit connect I lose the sound from my hifi speakers but nothing happens on my bluetooth speaker. Ah - I found it. How stupid - I didn't try the UI sound level. It seems the sound is also controlled via the browser UI on my mac. That was zero - now 70 and the bluetooth speaker is working! Now I need to see if I can bluetooth connect to my Sonos Roam. So far no joy with that. Thanks to everyone for all the help. Any thoughts on the Sonos much appreciated.