Moode Forum
[PROBLEM] witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - Printable Version

+- Moode Forum (https://moodeaudio.org/forum)
+-- Forum: moOde audio player (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Support (https://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track (/showthread.php?tid=5938)

Pages: 1 2

witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - howlow - 11-15-2023

Hello,
I have an annoying problem playing audio in Moode.
Sometimes during playback the first millisecond of the track is not played back when the automatic track change has taken place.
Either a part of the track is missing, or it plays like a hissing sound.

This doesn't always happen, but when it does it's extremely annoying.

I can't find any setting that would allow me to overcome this.
I've already tried making the buffer a little larger so that it can possibly accommodate this.
Unfortunately without success.

My setup looks like this: Pi3B with Hifiberry Digi2 Pro, audio files come directly from USB stick.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do?

Best regards, Mirko

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - Nutul - 11-15-2023

(11-15-2023, 08:00 AM)howlow Wrote: Hello,
I have an annoying problem playing audio in Moode.
Sometimes during playback the first millisecond of the track is not played back when the automatic track change has taken place.

Can you discriminate if this happens when the two tracks differe in sample-rate / bitdepth? If so it may be a problem in the DAC, requiring some time to re-sinch.
P.S.
talking about milliseconds seems exaggerate to me... maybe you wanted to say few-hundred-milliseconds...

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - howlow - 11-15-2023

Hello,

no, no change in Bitrate.

I usually notice this with an album where all the tracks have the same bitrate.

I can't say exactly how many milliseconds it is, what I can say is that if Right is said at the beginning of the track, then Ri is missing.
And that is very unpleasant.

Best regards, Mirko

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - Tim Curtis - 11-15-2023

Zip up some tracks or the whole album and PM a download link to myself, @Nutul and @TheOldPresbyope. We can try to reproduce the issue.

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - dulldull - 11-18-2023

Dear Tim and team, this somewhat echo the issue identified in the MPD delay discussion we have earlier. As per your earlier suggestion, I have tried to make a request to the MPD maintainer team in Github and found the request was already there dated back in 2021.

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - Tim Curtis - 11-18-2023

(11-18-2023, 07:03 AM)dulldull Wrote: Dear Tim and team, this somewhat echo the issue identified in the MPD delay discussion we have earlier. As per your earlier suggestion, I have tried to make a request to the MPD maintainer team in Github and found the request was already there dated back in 2021.

What's the URL to the issue?

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - TheOldPresbyope - 11-18-2023

I expect the OP is referring to Add Delay/Silence at Start of Tracks.

Note that

1) the issue refers to bit rate changes between tracks, the circumstance Al has already asked about here.
2) the deafening silence from the MPD maintainer and the usual responders to MPD issues suggests that this issue is going nowhere.

The OP hasn't told us what the actual DAC is in his setup. The HiFiBerrry Digi2 Plus isn't a DAC; it merely converts the PCM parallel-bit transfers to S/PDIF serial-bit streams. There's an interesting note on Limitations in the Wikipedia article on S/PDIF which comes into play here. I have no experience with S/PDIF equipment so can't comment further.

It would still seem useful for us to example one of the OPs albums for any oddities, but that's on him.

Regards,
Kent

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - Nutul - 11-18-2023

(11-18-2023, 12:35 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: The OP hasn't told us what the actual DAC is in his setup. The HiFiBerrry Digi2 Plus isn't a DAC; it merely converts the PCM parallel-bit transfers to S/PDIF serial-bit streams. There's an interesting note on Limitations in the Wikipedia article on S/PDIF which comes into play here. I have no experience with S/PDIF equipment so can't comment further.

It would still seem useful for us to example one of the OPs albums for any oddities, but that's on him.
Good point Kent.

Looks like the DAC following in the chain might be more responsible. Since it then continues to play fine, I would exclude a bandwidth limitation dictated by the SPDIF standard.
Nevertheless, see if the OP comes back.

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - Tim Curtis - 11-18-2023

(11-18-2023, 12:35 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I expect the OP is referring to Add Delay/Silence at Start of Tracks.

Note that

1) the issue refers to bit rate changes between tracks, the circumstance Al has already asked about here.
2) the deafening silence from the MPD maintainer and the usual responders to MPD issues suggests that this issue is going nowhere.

The OP hasn't told us what the actual DAC is in his setup. The HiFiBerrry Digi2 Plus isn't a DAC; it merely converts the PCM parallel-bit transfers to S/PDIF serial-bit streams. There's an interesting note on Limitations in the Wikipedia article on S/PDIF which comes into play here. I have no experience with S/PDIF equipment so can't comment further.

Regards,
Kent

To get some attention from the MPD maintainer someone needs to post a vanilla repro using the latest version of stock MPD on stock RaspiOS Bullseye to rule out any configuration or patch issue in moOde.

This post contains a recipe that I've used in the past to make a vanilla MPD image.
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/issues/605

RE: witch Audio Playback at the begin of the Track - TheOldPresbyope - 11-18-2023

For sure.

I’ve been down that road (even once did an git-bisect to find an offending commi) and have no desire to repeat the experience unless I’m fully armed.

Regards,
Kent