Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Audio via RPI HDMI out????
Moode 4.4 image installed on RPI3, no other HAT or DAC used

can the Raspberry Pi    HDMI out be used to send audio out to say a AVR HDMI input

Thanks
Hello JMeader,

you simply have to choose it. Set I2S Audio Device to "None" in Audio config and enable the HDMI port under System config.
Have fun!

Duke.G

2x RPi 3B, 1x RPi 4, Moode 8; 4k flac Songs; 180k MP3 Songs; Asset-UpnP 184k Songs
The blues has got a hold of me, I believe I'm gettin' dizzy - ZZ Top
(02-11-2019, 09:41 PM)duke.g Wrote: Hello JMeader,

you simply have to choose it. Set I2S Audio Device to "None" in Audio config and enable the HDMI port under System config.
Have fun!

Duke.G

Great 

Thank You solves a problem for me.  I really like the Moode interface for my music and with the RPI now using HDMI out straight into my AVR it will be a really simple setup

Quick question I have my music on a 4 terabyte USB/NAS drive, would you recommend connecting it directly to the RPI  via USB or use it as a network NAS source

Thanks Again
Anyone know if there are HDMI pins dedicated to SPDIF output specifically that can be accessed on a Raspberry Pi?
(02-17-2019, 12:16 AM)JMeader Wrote:

Have fun!

Duke.G

Quick question I have my music on a 4 terabyte USB/NAS drive, would you recommend connecting it directly to the RPI  via USB or use it as a network NAS source

@JMeader

What model of '4 terabyte USB/NAS drive' would this be...? I may be behind the times (quite difficult to keep up with technology nowadays) so I was not aware that a NAS box can double up as an external USB storage (the NAS' USB port/ports are used for direct copy to the NAS' internal drives from a USB source or for extending the NAS' storage capacity).
[attachment=521]
(02-17-2019, 01:23 AM)energyi Wrote: Anyone know if there are HDMI pins dedicated to SPDIF output specifically that can be accessed on a Raspberry Pi?

The RPi's HDMI is a 'standard' HDMI port. Here's some info from Wikipedia:

<< TMDS ( Transition-minimized differential signaling ) on HDMI interleaves video, audio and auxiliary data using three different packet types, called the Video Data Period, the Data Island Period and the Control Period. During the Video Data Period, the pixels of an active video line are transmitted. During the Data Island period (which occurs during the horizontal and vertical blanking intervals), audio and auxiliary data are transmitted within a series of packets. >>

The only pins present are serial data pins. I suspect that the transmitted data cannot cannot be used directly for SPDIF OUT IMHO. The video and audio data are interleaved together so there are no dedicated audio pins as such.
So get a HaT that outputs spdif....
http://iqaudio.co.uk/hats/48-pi-digi.html
https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html
https://www.justboom.co/product/justboom-digi-hat/
https://www.hifiberry.com/products/digiplus/
https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hi...-digi-pro/
----------
bob
(02-17-2019, 06:43 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: The only pins present are serial data pins. I suspect that the transmitted data cannot cannot be used directly for SPDIF OUT IMHO. The video and audio data are interleaved together so there are no dedicated audio pins as such.

Thanks CallMeMike, kinda what I thought having investigated it previously. Some HDMI translator, splitters out there. Seems like it is inside the pi somewhere, and software could squeeze it out to GPIO pins. Out of my wheelhouse. Thanks.

Yes, have HATs, but trying to be a minimalist.
(02-17-2019, 04:51 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:

Have fun!

Duke.G

@JMeader

What model of '4 terabyte USB/NAS drive' would this be...? I may be behind the times (quite difficult to keep up with technology nowadays) so I was not aware that a NAS box can double up as an external USB storage (the NAS' USB port/ports are used for direct copy to the NAS' internal drives from a USB source or for extending the NAS' storage capacity).

I have one of each - One is a NAS one is USB
(02-21-2019, 04:25 AM)JMeader Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 04:51 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:

Have fun!

Duke.G

@JMeader

I have one of each - One is a NAS one is USB
Your quick question was pointing towards 'A 4 TB xxx DRIVE'...

Nevertheless, the latest description of your available storage is self explanatory, the USB external drive hould be attached to one of the RPi's USB ports (attention should be paid to the way you provide power to the USB drive, directly from an external PSU or via the RPi's USB port, the latter increasing the RPi's overall ower requirements) while the NAS (Network-Attaced Storage) should be... well. connected to the NAS via the LAN.