Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Volume control on mobile devices
Hi moOde fans,
 :@
=> Today I was comparing the two interfaces with each other and I noticed that we don't have any volume control in moOde when using a mobile device. Wouldn't it be nice if we could control that as well on our phone?

Ohh, what exactly is the problem? I do that several times every day.
Load an app that controls mpd. There are dozens of them in the app stores.

Regards
Norbert
If volume control is disabled how do you expect moode to attenuate it? Tongue

If you want moode to do volume control and your hardware doesn’t support it you can use software volume control and then you’ll get the speaker icon button which 1) pops up the “rotary dial” volume control when pressed, 2) shows an approximation of the current volume below the speaker icon (though that second part seems to have gotten broken at some point).
Hi moOde fans,
(08-30-2019, 08:21 PM)swizzle Wrote: If volume control is disabled how do you expect moode to attenuate it? Tongue

If you want moode to do volume control and your hardware doesn’t support it you can use software volume control and then you’ll get the speaker icon button which 1) pops up the “rotary dial” volume control when pressed, 2) shows an approximation of the current volume below the speaker icon (though that second part seems to have gotten broken at some point).

Woah, it is broken :-0

I'll have a look see.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Looks like at some point mvol-progress got changed to a class then back to an id. Playerlib.js still has it as a class. There are 3 occurrences that need to be changed to #mvol-progress.

Fixed :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(08-29-2019, 09:14 PM)JST1963 Wrote: When my Katana broke down a few days ago (repaired in the meantime) I was using my BlueSound Nodes again.

Today I was comparing the two interfaces with each other and I noticed that we don't have any volume control in moOde when using a mobile device. Wouldn't it be nice if we could control that as well on our phone?

Also, I saw that when the volume is disabled (as in my setup), there's no mute button either. I can imagine that your reaction will be that I disabled the volume control, because I have another method for that, so why the need of a mute button? Well, when I'm sitting at my desk, with my HP on, and my wife comes in to say something, I don't always have to search for the volume knob. My moOde is always open in a minimal web browser, so I can immediately click on "mute", if it was there. Oh, ok, but then you will say, why don't you click on the pause button....
Hmmm….tough to convince you….

J

The way it works currently is that if MPD volume is set to 0dB i.e "Disabled" then the volume button on mobile gets replaced with the "Random Album" button, but I can see a case for having mute when volume is set to 0dB, and thus the volume button would need to be back on mobile.

I'll have to noodle it.
Enjoy the Music!
(08-30-2019, 08:54 PM)JST1963 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:21 PM)swizzle Wrote: If volume control is disabled how do you expect moode to attenuate it? Tongue

Because if I recall 0dB still equals to 0.775V. And this 0.775V is picked up by my amp and converted into sound. Now, If I have to listen to this level, I will be deaf in no time. I have to attenuate my amp to let's say -10 to -20 dB to get a level to which I can continuously listen.

So, if we put a "mute" on the 0dB, so that the output is really 0V, my amp can't amplify anything anymore, hence complete silence.

Or did I go to the wrong school?

When volume control is disabled then moode is outputting at full volume and you use your amp to control how loud you want things. 

To do what I think you want we’d have to switch to software volume control, mute the volume, then switch back once you unmuted. Which is possible, except mpd requires a restart between those steps.

If pause has significant background noise with your amp then you could try software volume control, at 100% volume it’s probably more or less indistinguishable from having the volume disabled and it might give you some more flexibility.

I could see a case for making mute easier to toggle on mobile if volume isn’t disabled but I don’t know know if it’d be a common enough use case where we’d want to make it a default button (you can toggle it already in the volume popup). If we ever do configurable buttons we can add it for sure and for now we can give you code to add it to your particular moode.
Hi moOde fans,
Hi moOde fans,