Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Tired Ears
Music 
I've been playing with my Moode installation for a few days now, turning things on and off, messing with the EQ, various renderers, cover image quality, basically all the buttons.  The problem is now I've been listening so hard I can't tell if what I'm listening to is any good.  I keep hearing things I think might be audio artefacts only to realise it is traffic outside, I even spent a while trying to kill a low rumble that I discovered later was my NAS being noisy because of a virus scan.
In short, my ears are tired and need a rest.  Does anyone else get this way?
----------------
Robert
Yes.
When you build gear and/or test and when you start listening to equipments instead of music... In the end real silence is very hard to get and then the more your HiFi setup is clean and its floor noise is low the more the background noises are... unbearable!
In my case to the point I'm very annoyed by my humming DAC transformers... to realize it's not even powered up and that rumble is from outside life...
The funny thing is that every live performance I've ever attended, from single performer, to small groups, to 120 orchestra and chorus members, and indoor or outdoor, has had extraneous sounds. Somehow all I can remember is how much I enjoyed the music! It's only when I hear recordings of those performances that I notice the noises.

Granted, there was this time at a concert in the Kennedy Center Orchestra Hall when a well-dressed patroness seated behind me kept jangling the bracelets on her wrist. That got to me. During an intermission, a patron sitting a few seats away offered to buy them from her. To say many of us grinned in appreciation is an understatement.

Regards,
Kent
(04-01-2020, 01:49 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: I've been playing with my Moode installation for a few days now, turning things on and off, messing with the EQ, various renderers, cover image quality, basically all the buttons.  The problem is now I've been listening so hard I can't tell if what I'm listening to is any good.  I keep hearing things I think might be audio artefacts only to realise it is traffic outside, I even spent a while trying to kill a low rumble that I discovered later was my NAS being noisy because of a virus scan.
In short, my ears are tired and need a rest.  Does anyone else get this way?

Get rid of the distraction Smile Listen to the music through a headphone amplifier and reasonably good over-ear headphones... Even the most hard-hitting distraction when I'm listening to music, that is my Better Half, has to walk right up to me and tap on my shoulder in order to get my undivided attention  Angel
(04-01-2020, 06:07 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: The funny thing is that every live performance I've ever attended, from single performer, to small groups, to 120 orchestra and chorus members, and indoor or outdoor, has had extraneous sounds. Somehow all I can remember is how much I enjoyed the music! It's only when I hear recordings of those performances that I notice the noises.

Granted, there was this time at a concert in the Kennedy Center Orchestra Hall when a well-dressed patroness seated behind me kept jangling the bracelets on her wrist. That got to me. During an intermission, a patron sitting a few seats away offered to buy them from her. To say many of us grinned in appreciation is an understatement.

Regards,
Kent

I had to ask a bloke three rows back from me to hold his conversation elsewhere once, he was loud enough to be heard clearly over the Turin Brakes who are not exactly a quiet band.  I got applause :Smile OK the Brakes were the support act, but I often find support acts better than the one I paid to see.
----------------
Robert
(04-02-2020, 04:27 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: Get rid of the distraction Smile Listen to the music through a headphone amplifier and reasonably good over-ear headphones... Even the most hard-hitting distraction when I'm listening to music, that is my Better Half, has to walk right up to me and tap on my shoulder in order to get my undivided attention  Angel
Yup, I have a pair from AKG that I use a lot through the dedicated headphone circuits of my Ruark R2.  I do like the less claustrophobic feel of listening over speakers as well however.  It is a different auditory experience for me.  I hear different things through speakers and headphones, so it depends on my mood (and whether my wife is moaning about the "racket" I'm listening to Smile)
----------------
Robert