Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Auto-shuffle settings and playlists
Hi guys,

I got Moodeaudio up and running and I'm really happy with. Thanks Tim and all the developers for putting this awesome player together!

I'm very happy with how my library is presented, just as I'd hoped, and the EQ is amazing, currently using Vinyl Touch. Sounds great. I've even learnt how to change some basic settings via SSH!

I'm having difficulties with auto-shuffle and playlists. I've searched previous posts but many are a little old and relate to previous versions. I'd be really grateful if anyone can help get the most from this wonderful player.

Auto-shuffle: I want the player to randomly play tracks from across my whole of the library (usb hdd attached to RPi 4b). I've set Auto-shuffle to on (and I've also used the $ ashuffle code via SSH), but it keeps playing radio streams rather than my music. Do I need to change other settings? (I wouldn't mind including radio streams sometimes as some are great, but would like to know how to exclude them usually). 

Playlists: I haven't worked out how to add tracks to playlists. I have managed to name a playlist but I can't see how I can add tracks to it. Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Apologies for the long post and thank you in advance.
A quick update to the auto-shuffle question. I've noticed that the radio streams only get added if I manually skip to the next track. If I listen to the whole track, auto-shuffle seems to be play a track from my library.
I'm not sure how Auto-shuffle could select a radio station since it only plays song files.

Here is the help from the Auto-shuffle option in Audio Config.

"When the last song in the Playlist has finished playing, Auto-shuffle adds two randomly selected songs from the music library to the end of the Playlist then repeats the process. This creates a continuous stream of music without growing the Playlist and having two tracks enables MPD Crossfade to be used. NOTE: Auto-shuffle replaces MPD random play as the method for the 'Random' button."

Regular MPD random play is enabled when the Auto-shuffle option is OFF. In this case MPD just randomizes the Playlist and if there happens to be radio stations in it they could be randomly selected.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Regarding Playlists, currently they can't be directly edited. You first have to clear/add the saved playlist to the main Playlist and then edit it there, then save it.
Enjoy the Music!
To add tracks to a playlist you either create or enter an existing playlist with the “set favorites” item from the ... menu, then pressing the heart button will add that track to the playlist.
Thank you both for your help. I'm sorry but I'm having difficulty understanding what you both suggest.

Tim, I'm sorry but I don't understand this: 'clear/add the saved playlist to the main Playlist'. When I click on Clear/Play it just stops what's currently playing and starts playing the new track.

Also, Swizzle, I've 'set favorites' and given the playlist a name, as you suggest. Then I click on the heart but I have no idea what has happened after that. How can I then view that playlist that I've created?

Please could you give me a little more details if possible. I'm usually good with new applications and pick them up quickly, but I'm struggling and feeling a little frustrated. I really want to be able to use MoOde.

I like to listen to my music randomly and save tracks to different playlists depending on the track. I've been using another player which does let me create several playlists and access/play them but in all honesty MoOde is superior in terms of sound.
(06-20-2020, 01:14 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'm not sure how Auto-shuffle could select a radio station since it only plays song files.

Here is the help from the Auto-shuffle option in Audio Config.

"When the last song in the Playlist has finished playing, Auto-shuffle adds two randomly selected songs from the music library to the end of the Playlist then repeats the process. This creates a continuous stream of music without growing the Playlist and having two tracks enables MPD Crossfade to be used. NOTE: Auto-shuffle replaces MPD random play as the method for the 'Random' button."

Regular MPD random play is enabled when the Auto-shuffle option is OFF. In this case MPD just randomizes the Playlist and if there happens to be radio stations in it they could be randomly selected.

Thanks Tim. Yes I think there were some radio streams in the main playlist.

I read the help on Auto-shuffle but it doesn't seem to be behaving in that way. I have auto-shuffle set to on but so far I've noticed that it either keeps repeating the same 20 or so tracks or it just stops when it gets to the end of the main playlist. Can't get me head around it Sad
        Maybe it might help me if I know the names of these 2 screens. Is one of them the playlist and the other the now playing?
Maybe your image is corrupted or broken in some way.

If you need help with the UI functions or what the screens are refer to Menu, Quick help. To verify Auto-shuffle is working do the following:

1. Remove all tracks from the Playlist
2. Click the Random Play button OFF
3. Verify that Auto-shuffle is turned ON on Audio Config
4. Click the Random Play button ON

Two tracks should be added to the Playlist and the first should start playing. When it finishes it will automatically be removed, the track below it will start playing and a new track will be added.

This cycle continues until the Random Play button is clicked OFF or the Playlist is altered by manually adding or removing tracks. Auto-shuffle needs exclusive access to the Playlist.
Enjoy the Music!
(06-22-2020, 07:40 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Maybe your image is corrupted or broken in some way.

If you need help with the UI functions or what the screens are refer to Menu, Quick help. To verify Auto-shuffle is working do the following:

1. Remove all tracks from the Playlist
2. Click the Random Play button OFF
3. Verify that Auto-shuffle is turned ON on Audio Config
4. Click the Random Play button ON

Two tracks should be added to the Playlist and the first should start playing. When it finishes it will automatically be removed, the track below it will start playing and a new track will be added.

This cycle continues until the Random Play button is clicked OFF or the Playlist is altered by manually adding or removing tracks. Auto-shuffle needs exclusive access to the Playlist.

Thanks Tim for the extra detail. I can get it working perfectly now. I think the key is that the playlist has to be empty at the start.

With Swizzle's help and re-reading the Quick help again, I'm also able to manage playlists as I hoped. For anyone coming to this thread in the future, I can summarise:

1. as Swizzle writes, click on the 3 dots ... and select 'Select favorites"
2. name a new playlist or type the name of an existing playlist (would be superb if MoOde could autofill here from existing playlist names)
3. click on the heart to add the track to the playlist you have named

Saved playlists can be found in folder view.

This works perfectly for me.

PS Tim I read in another thread that you like Monitor Audio speakers. I had some Bronze BR2s which were great but replaced them with some R352s from around the mid 1980s. Needless to say your MoOde player sounds wonderful through these semi-vintage speakers.

Truly enjoying the music now Smile