Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Solved: HiFiBerry DAC2 HD
Any plans already to add new HiFiBerry DAC2 HD into Moode?

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hi...gn=website
I'd need a board to test and specs for it's driver and ALSA chip options if any.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim!

Did you have already asked HiFiBerry for providing a HD HiFiBerry DAC2?

I have received my board today, but without the right config it is not possible to use this board Sad 

On HiFiBerryPage https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/data-sheets/datasheet-dac-hd/ is a hint for configuration included:

Code:
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplushd

How many files should by changed in Moode OS to add a new I2S DAC Board?

I'm currently not a professional but I had in the past developed software (starting with Fortran 77 on DEC machines and moved to C, C++, C#, PHP)  If someone could provide a small "How To" guide, I would try to add HD HiFiBerry DAC to Moode and share my experience in this forum.

Best Regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

Vendors are welcome to contact me about donating devices for testing and integration into moOde. Another alternative is that users can donate devices and the knowledge on their configuration settings.
Enjoy the Music!
Hi Tim!

Full acknowladge with your point view. The service for integration of a new DAC Board in Moode Audio OS should be worth providing a sample device to you. The device producer could sell more devices if there is software to use it.

There's a point I don't understand: Why you don't ask the manufactors for a sample device?

Regards
Peter
Why should Tim have to ask manufacturers for samples. Will it help sell more copies of moOde?
(07-01-2020, 01:17 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Why should Tim have to ask manufacturers for samples. Will it help sell more copies of moOde?

Indeed, YES.

If my device i.e. HiFiBerry HD DAC2 would work with i.e. Volumio, then I would use Volumio.

The device manufactors has similar interesst like Tim: selling more. Also it is a Win=Win situation. But who moves first? Wink 

Regards
Peter
Your statement suggests that you feel that software audio players and their projects are just a commodity. If so then by all means use something else and go to their Forum for support.

As far vendors go, if you look at the Raspberry Pi audio space there are only a few audio player softwares but there are many hardware vendors and a huge number of audio products. This "many to few" relationship would suggest that the vendors should be the ones proactively getting their products to the handful of player maintainers for testing and integration. Thats my expectation.

Currently there is only one vendor thats actively doing this with moOde and thats ALLO. They not only make some of the best audio hardware but they also provide top notch developer-level support to our nice project :-)

Other vendors could easily do the same but if they don't then they place the burden on their customers to provide hardware and dev support to the audio player projects. Good luck with that approach.
Enjoy the Music!
Having been burned by buying hardware for which there is actually no software that makes use of it effectively, I feel the pain of the OP.  My case is one step worse in that HiFiBerry do at least seem to have developed a driver for this board, where as the one I bought relies on drivers for other boards that happen to have the same chip!
It does seem to be a strange situation that the manufacturers go to the effort and cost of designing and building things, then don't make sure they can actually be used in the real world, but I suppose that's why the devices and software in this DIY world are so much cheaper than the off the shelf stuff.  Collaboration between player maker and board maker costs money and you can see this reflected in the costs of the products.  ALLO make "turnkey" solutions with player and all components included, but at a prices comparable with other off the shelf.  Volumio also offer turnkey at mainstream prices and will approach board makes for assistance with integration, but only if you are on an expensive monthly plan.
I have to remind my self that this top notch equipment I have to listen to my music on cost me less than £100 and is essentially built on a device that's main job is to teach programming to school kids.
So in short, there are three options: pay turnkey prices for a turnkey solution; pay DIY prices for proven combinations and live with any limitations; pay DIY prices for new combinations and do the work of getting it integrated.
----------------
Robert
Allo's products are definitely not turnkey. Their cost reflects higher quality components, leading edge board designs that minimize noise, provide precise clocking and separation of power paths among other things. Some of their products for example the USBridge SIG are leading the way beyond the noisy stock Pi as an audio platform.
Enjoy the Music!