Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Hard drive location and backup
Hi, 
I've been using moOde for a few months and love it.  Actually just sold my sonos connect as I prefer the customisation available in moOde much more.

I have two questions that have been bugging me.

I'm currently running an ethernet Nas with about 600gb of flac (about 1200 albums). The raspi 4b is connected via wifi (ethernet in the future when I get under the house and run some cables). Is there any advantage to running my media library on a direct USB 3 drive?

Secondly, I currently edit my library in a USB drive connected to my Mac, then use rsync to copy and sync to the Nas. This way I always have a backup. If I was to go down the direct USB connect option how would I go about setting the raspi doing an auto sync and using the Nas as a backup?

Btw, I use USB audio out of the raspi directly into my integrated amp dac.

Any suggestions would be great

Cheers
Pete
I read FLAC files from my NAS via a quite low strength Wi-Fi signal to one of my moOde players upstairs in my house (the router is downstairs) and I never have any issues. The bit rate of your FLAC files is measured in kilobits, your link speed will be measured in megabits.
I don't see how running of a "local" USB drive offers any benefits, unless it is a slightly faster initial build of the library.
----------------
Robert
(07-01-2020, 08:29 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: I read FLAC files from my NAS via a quite low strength Wi-Fi signal to one of my moOde players upstairs in my house (the router is downstairs) and I never have any issues.  The bit rate of your FLAC files is measured in kilobits, your link speed will be measured in megabits.
I don't see how running of a "local" USB drive offers any benefits, unless it is a slightly faster initial build of the library.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

It is working very well at the moment and I don't get any drop outs - I have a router at each end of the house. It was more an issue of getting automatic backups happening better. There is a bit of lag when I open moode on my browser (maybe 5-10 seconds) but after that it runs pretty smoothly considering the size of the library.

When I run rsync to copy files from the external usb on my laptop over the network to the NAS it takes forever as it check 29k files for differences - the actual copying is quite fast, it is the processing that takes a long time. Depending on what has changed it can take up to 15 hours to process. If I made changes to the USB drive on my laptop then plugged it into the raspi, I was hoping to be able to automate a rsync backup from this location to the NAS, without the need for my laptop always being involved.
I assume therefore that your NAS does not have a USB port that you can plug your external drive into directly for the backup routine?
Either way, moOde makes a samba share of any drives mounted to it that you can access on your network, so plugging the USB drive in and mounting it to moOde will make the contents visible from your NAS and you can "pull" the backup that way I would guess. You can then choose to either leave the USB in and read your library from there or continue to use the NAS as your library and plug in the drive only when you want to commit any changes.
----------------
Robert
Thanks for the comments.
My Nas is a WD at home model, so it is really just a hard drive with a ethernet connection. I have no idea if I can get it to run its own backup routines without a computer - I will look into it
The big reason for wanting to run a local drive us so I can use the 'recent added' function in moode. It would lessen the load on scrolling or searching through the album list. As far as I can tell from the forums, the feature doesn't work over a network drive
Recently added works for me on my NAS and it includes a file that's been there for years but that I recently modified, so I guess it uses "modified date" to populate it.
I'm using NFS to share the drive in my Synology NAS (which has a USB input and rsync and all sorts also added), maybe the default SAMBA protocol doesn't read the data needed for recently added.
Your NAS will probably have a small linux distro on it that you would be able to access to get it to run the update routine for you.  It may be a s simple as turning on ssh in the console of your NAS to get into it.
----------------
Robert