Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Allo Katana DAC
Hi moOde fans,
 :@
Mine is running at 46.2 In a cheap $8 case w a small fan
Hi moOde fans,
(03-16-2019, 07:43 PM)JST1963 Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 03:02 PM)jonners Wrote: My Pi-3b+ is running a cool 47.8 deg. Smile

And how did you manage that? Extra fan?
Like I said, mine was pre-assembled. Nothing much I can do about cooling.

No fan. It's not in a case, just in a wooden box along with the power supplies. I keep the lid half open when it's running. Also it's underclocked (Archimago settings) which helps. And it's near a draughty window - things might be different in the summer!
Hi moOde fans,
(03-16-2019, 08:39 PM)JST1963 Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 08:27 PM)HemiRick Wrote: Mine is running at 46.2 In a cheap $8 case w a small fan

with a Katana? How did you install the fan? 

no not w Katana, just another data point for info sorry to confuse. The operating temp of a Pi with such a low load should not be high.
(03-17-2019, 10:53 PM)HannoG Wrote: It was a good idea to get the temperature information from the system info. Here is my operating temperature a few minutes after powering the combo. Nothing to worry about?

Hi,

The temp metric on system info reflects only the Raspberry Pi CPU temp and not the temperature of other components or boards, or the entire device.

The cmd that's used is below. Divide the result by 1000 to put in human readable format.

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi moOde fans,
Hi moOde fans,
From the Raspberry Pi FAQs

Quote:The Raspberry Pi is built from commercial chips which are qualified to different temperature ranges; the LAN9514 (LAN9512 on older models with 2 USB ports) is specified by the manufacturers as being qualified from 0°C to 70°C, while the SoC is qualified from -40°C to 85°C. You may well find that the board will work outside those temperatures, but we're not qualifying the board itself to these extremes.

It's my understanding that  thermal throttling of the CPU will kick in about 80°C (internal temp, of course). It sounds like you folks are comfortably below this. Passive heatsinks and/or active cooling never hurt, of course.

However, this says nothing about the Katana. You'll have to get its temperature-range qualification directly from Allo.

Regards,
Kent