Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Show your audio system
(11-16-2022, 12:04 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Whats the difference between epaper and other displays?

limits colour, most popular just black & white, slow refresh rate, they only use power when updating the display and are high contrast to look at.  They're perfect for my situation, to have in the bedroom where I don't want any disturbing light at night, at easily see the logo from across the room and don't need to worry about the same logo showing on the display for hours on end.
Photo 
My modest Frankensystem, made of bits and pieces accumulated over the years. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR-393, whose sound belies its low price, especially in the smallish space of my listening area. For moOde listening, the main speakers are Infinity RS3001s, picked up at a yard sale 22 years ago for just a few bucks.  I've also got a 12" Dayton Audio sub off-screen. My moOde source is an RPi 3b with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro hat, which you can just make out sitting under the glass on the left with its network activity light on. (Yeah, the stands aren't ideal, but they do the job. I haven't found any yet that fit the space without blocking too much of my projector screen.)

For as little as I paid for this system, the sound is jaw-droppingly good, and I'm constantly amazed by it.

[Image: 2o3frPr]
(11-28-2022, 12:14 AM)buckaroo Wrote: My modest Frankensystem, made of bits and pieces accumulated over the years. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR-393, whose sound belies its low price, especially in the smallish space of my listening area. For moOde listening, the main speakers are Infinity RS3001s, picked up at a yard sale 22 years ago for just a few bucks.  I've also got a 12" Dayton Audio sub off-screen. My moOde source is an RPi 3b with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro hat, which you can just make out sitting under the glass on the left with its network activity light on. (Yeah, the stands aren't ideal, but they do the job. I haven't found any yet that fit the space without blocking too much of my projector screen.)

For as little as I paid for this system, the sound is jaw-droppingly good, and I'm constantly amazed by it.

There is something special about a good pair of old speakers.
----------------
Robert
(11-28-2022, 08:22 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: There is something special about a good pair of old speakers.

For me I dunno whether it's the nostalgia talking, or just that old speakers tended to be built to higher standards. I'll always prefer a 30+ year-old speaker to a new one.
(11-29-2022, 04:09 AM)buckaroo Wrote:
(11-28-2022, 08:22 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: There is something special about a good pair of old speakers.

For me I dunno whether it's the nostalgia talking, or just that old speakers tended to be built to higher standards. I'll always prefer a 30+ year-old speaker to a new one.

I imagine build quality can be as good or higher these days if you are willing to pay.  The key I think is that 30 year old speakers were designed to be fed with very different sources.  There was no digital crispness, there was lower dynamic range, there were "warm sounding" amplifiers, the loudness wars had hardly got going.  I expect it's that 70's brown colour they add to the sound that we like most.
----------------
Robert
TV: Sony KE-85XH9096 85"
A/V receiver: Yamaha RX-A830
BluRay: Sony UBP-X800
Digital box: Vu+ Duo2
HTPC: Intel NUC + Kodi
Speakers: L/R Klipsch RP-280F, C Klipsch RP-504C, SUR Klipsch RP-500M II
Subwoofers: 2x SVS PB-2000 + Anti-Mode 8033 C

Just ordered Anno Boss DAC 1.2 to my Rpi and now trying to find the best software to stream Spotify.

Let see if I can add one random pic here too...
Here's my relatively simple setup...

[Image: Od7ZopD]

Naim NAC72 preamp w/ NAP140 amp
RPI3B+ w/ Hifiberry DAC2 Pro inside a Hifiberry universal case
Thorens TD160B turntable

Out of shot are a pair of Rega R1 bookshelf speakers - highly impressive for the price!
My setup...

Stereo: Jeff Rowland Concentra II as amp, Magnepan MG1.6 as loudspeakers, SVS SB1000Pro as subwoofer, a Topping E70 as DAC and currently a PiCorePlayer controlling the DAC.
Home Theater: Denon AVC-X3800H, pre out to the Concentra (on Unity Gain), "cheap" Teufel surround speakers. I will exchange them later for better speakers, but currently I'm optimizing the stereo setup.

I would love to switch to the MoodeAudio player instead of the PiCorePlayer, but my setup needs a read-only system for the RPi (because I switch it together with the amp). My first question is whether the MoodeAudio player supports this, but I'm not really sure in which subforum to ask...
moOde does not support "read-only" operation because from experience it's unnecessary. I routinely just flip the switch and power off my systems without any problems whatsoever. Use top quality uSD cards like WD Purple QD101  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088CD...UTF8&psc=1

Generally, questions should be posted in the Support sub forum :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the answer, I will ask the question in the support sub forum.

I have a bit of experience with the RPi and SD cards (and SSDs as well), and I don‘t share your optimism. Both have not been designed with power loss during a write operation, and it can happen that the SD card controller fries the whole storage or parts of it in seldom cases.

But the reliability very much depends on the number of writes the system during normal operation (and which could be interrupted by a sudden power loss). If this is minimized e.g., by use of the Overlay FS with changes held in RAM until explicitly written then I would be happy.

Continued in the support forum.