Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Email from moodeaudio.org ends up in spam folder
Just wanted to inform the team that an issue with the email configuration for moodeaudio.org causes notification, email verification and other emails from this domain to end up in the user's spam folder. The problem is with the SPF DNS record that contains an incorrect value. Receiving mail servers are not able to verify if the sending server is authorized to send email on moodeaudio.org's behalf and think it's likely spam.
I can report to my ISP but I'll need additional information on the DNS record so their tech support can troubleshoot.

Do you know what the correct value should be in the SPF record?
Is there any error message or non-delivery report?

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
The current SPF record is:

v=spf1 +a +mx +include:ecbiz226.inmotionhosting.com +a:ecbiz226.inmotionhosting.com +a:smtp.servconfig.com ~all

The problem is with this part:

+include:ecbiz226.inmotionhosting.com

The 'include' indicates that there would be a separate SPF record for the domain ecbiz226.inmotionhosting.com but that does not exist. Because this lookup fails, no other checking will be done and the result of the SPF check will always be PermErr. So at a bare minimum you should remove that section, but I don't think you need the +a:ecbiz226.inmotionhosting.com either.

The email that I received was sent from 23.235.223.110 which is included in +a:smtp.servconfig.com. Also, the + before each statement is assumed and can be omitted. Without knowing your full infrastructure, there may be other applications send email for this domain, a clean basic SPF record for your domain would look like this:

v=spf1 a:smtp.servconfig.com -all

Note that I removed the redundant + signs, removed +a, +mx and the two ecbiz226.inmotionhosting.com statements. Also, the most right statement was ~all (softfail) and I replaced that with -all (hardfail). If you're not completely sure that all your sending servers IP addresses are in the smtp.servconfig.com A record, you could start with:

v=spf1 a:smtp.servconfig.com ~all

Hope this helps.
Yes, this is what Inmotion Hosting ISP tech support will need. I'm not in control of their Email or DNS infrastructure so it's something they will have to investigate on their end.

When time permits I'll open a support ticket with them.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(12-04-2020, 04:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, this is what Inmotion Hosting ISP tech support will need. I'm not in control of their Email or DNS infrastructure so it's something they will have to investigate on their end.

When time permits I'll open a support ticket with them.

-Tim

It's your domain, you should be in control on what DNS records are in it.  Smile I understand that they are managing it for you though. But yeah, they should know what to do if you forward that information.
Right, there is an option in CPanel for editing the zone. Here is what appears for the SPF entry.

I suppose I could edit it but maybe better for ISP tech to do that in case there is some reason it needs to be as it currently is.
Enjoy the Music!
At least provice them my feedback and let them challenge it. Your main issue is to remove this part: +include:ecbiz226.inmotionhosting.com. The other stuff is just optimization.
For sure I'll provide your full analysis :-) Just need to set aside some time for a session with ISP tech support. Maybe next week.
Enjoy the Music!