Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Can you get "audiophile" sound using a native RP4 USB port into a DAC?
(03-25-2021, 02:46 AM)rebbi Wrote: @Manni I also have a MBP running Audirvana, which I was hoping to replace with the RP4 streaming setup because it's my work laptop and plugging it in and our of my stereo rig is cumbersome. But I don't understand how you are using your MBP with the AlloUSBridge? Are you taking the USB output from the laptop and using the Allo as an intermediary into your DAC?

that had been the exact same reason for me to purchase the Allo USBridgeSig. Wanted to avoid to always carry my MBP to my listening room and plug it in and out.

But as stated above, it turned out, that Audirvana sounds more clean, dynamic and 3- dimensional than  streaming from my iPhone mconnectLite to moOde UPNP.

It really sounds ok for occasional listening is better than other OS ( maxplay, Volumino etc).

For serious listening I have my MBP on my working place running Audirvana streaming as server via my WiFi network to moOde UPNP on Allo USBridgeSig as renderer. This is connected via USB cable to the DAC.

In Audirvana the Bridge is showing up as an UPNP device.
It would be better to connect the MBP via Ethernet, but that is not available at my regular working desk.

My network is configured as following:

MBP WiFi to my FRITZ!Box router (power by LPS). Per CAT7 Ethernet cable to my listening room. From the wall outlet CAT 8 to fibre-optic converter. 2m fibre optic cable to next fibre-optic converter to Ethernet. Final 1 m CAT8 Ethernet cable to Allo USBridge Sig.

The converters are powered by the Allo Shanti LPS 5VDC.
The 2 CAT8 cables are DIY with Sommer CAT 8 wire and Telegärtner plugs. ( makes an audible difference compared to good normal CAT7 or 8 cables).

The conversion to fibreoptic is breaking the noisy grounds of my home network.
(03-25-2021, 04:22 PM)hifinet Wrote: Even with a linear power supply for the RPi4, there are still switching regulators on the RPi4 generating noise. The USBridge Sig would seem to be a more complete solution. No personal experience.

But isnt't a decent DAC like the ADI-2 Pro supposes to take care of noise for you? FWIW, if you could hear the difference, more power, and less money, for you.  Please don't k*ll me hehehe
(03-25-2021, 04:22 PM)hifinet Wrote: Even with a linear power supply for the RPi4, there are still switching regulators on the RPi4 generating noise. The USBridge Sig would seem to be a more complete solution. No personal experience.

A lot of components would affect the sound. Things as simple as using a SD card vs an USB boot would sound different. As I mentioned, if you are not prepared to tweak, an USBridge Sig is better than  Rpi4b out of the box. 

On one end of the spectrum, some are saying digital data is same from both devices, they should sound the same, on the other end, a ssd USB boot sound not as good as a compact flash USB boot. Read some of the comments from:

https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread....%B8/page33

There are too many factors involved to sound quality. I think only the user can make this call.
(03-26-2021, 05:07 AM)Jandu Wrote: Things as simple as using a SD card vs an USB boot would sound different.

How should that even change the zeros and ones that the DAC uses to generate analog signal? Huh
(04-02-2021, 01:04 PM)TheBats..... Wrote: How should that even change the zeros and ones that the DAC uses to generate analog signal? Huh
If you have a source that can output using both USB and s/pdif sources and feed to a DAC that uses both. You can switch among the two and likely confirm that the two do not sound exactly same. 

Many can tell you the change of the digital connect wire between the transport and DAC would affect the sound too. If you agree with the above observations, then there may be more to it than bits is bits is bits. Huh

A number of things are different, not saying which is the item that affects the sound signiture. Such as, the current draw is different, the controller/process to operate each may differ. I do not know how it is affected, I can only tell you that there is a difference in sound. If you want to test a RPi  with a CF(compact flash) card vs a SD card, and you cannot hear any difference, ignore what I have said and enjoy the music. Else, report back and let us know what do you think.
Big Grin 
-> If you have a source that can output using both USB and s/pdif sources and feed to a DAC that uses both. You can switch among the two and likely confirm that the two do not sound exactly same.

Maybe, but this has nothing to do with your claim, that there is a difference between an SD Card und an USB boot.

-> Many can tell you the change of the digital connect wire between the transport and DAC would affect the sound too.

Do you really believe that? In this case you should never hear music from HiRes streaming portals, because the 'music' is transfered via the internet, your router, your cables etc.

BTW: In a german forum I read that someone heard a difference between the direction of an ethernet cable...

Sorry, but this is nonsence... just my 2 cents

Best regards
Norbert

PS: Hear your setup a) after a relaxed sunday afternoon and b) after a hard work day...
(04-06-2021, 08:57 PM)Norbert Wrote: ....

.....BTW: In a german forum I read that someone heard a difference between the direction of an ethernet cable...

Well of course. The  digits get used to going one way and doing that will make them all go back to front. Dodgy
(04-06-2021, 08:57 PM)..... Wrote: BTW: In a german forum I read that someone heard a difference between the direction of an ethernet cable...

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaulvideo/why...direction/

Reading for a lazy/hazy afternoon with a good glass of wire/coffee and some nice music playing

Enjoy!
Hi @Jandu,

I'm looking for some clever advices, how to start a reasonable RP player into my already quite tweaked headphone chain. Originally I was looking at Allo's solution, but I'm a tweaker and also already short on place on my desk.

Would you be so kind to share some tips, how to achieve reasonable sound quality with ordinary RPI4? I'm not necessarily looking for the absolute best, but I've invested a lot (especially time) into my chain starting from the wall socket, so want to be effective in each step.

I have no previous experience with RP machines/OS, but I'm a oldschool PC nerd, so I have no problem setting up things, I'm just quite short on time to make all the research, since I see that's quite a lot. I understand that power supply makes a huge role like everywhere else, so I might be going for the Shanti.

I just need to play music that is locally stored on my PC, so no streaming or any other complicated networking stuff, just to bridge my PC -> Ethernet cable -> RPi4 -> USB -> RME ADI-2 DAC. I'm not familiar with any software / OS tweaking / HW tips to get things started properly, so any help is greatly appreciated  Heart
(04-12-2021, 10:42 AM)mxpwladimir Wrote: Hi @Jandu,

I'm looking for some clever advices, how to start ......
Just get a RPi4, 2 gb or bigger if you have a lot of music, burn(BalenaEtcher) a copy of Moode onto microSD card, plug in card, power supply, internet cable, hdmi (only to determine IP address), plug in USB A to B cable and off you go.
Once you are up running, catch the IP address on your screen or use a program such as Fling(android) or Netscan(Win). Go to a browser, enter the same IP address then following the Moode interface/guide. From the browser, you can step thru process to authorize wifi, get access to your file system, configurate the usb connection, etc. 
If you need further instructions, private message me and we can go thru it. Most who are on this web forum are experts and we don't add much for repeating the process here. 
Once we get the basic going, to improve the sound quality, we can talk about different methods.
Enjoy!