Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Pi4 and Library Update - never finishes?
Hi, I recently set this up (using X400 v3.0 + with Raspberry Pi). I get things set up - pointing at a NFS share, and then do Update Library, and wait. I then come back later to check on how it's doing, and the page is unresponsive, page does not refresh.

I can no longer ssh in, nor even ping. So I power off and back on, and try again. After starting up, I see a fraction of my music library seems to be indexed, or in the most recent case, nothing at all seems to be in the library. I kick off update again, and it seems to do the same thing - eventually, I can no longer reach the pi over the network.

Is there anything useful to try to look at to determine what is happening here? Is my library (1.1T) just too big? Other than setting timezone, setting up wifi ssid/password, setting the audio config for X400 v3.0, and adding the nfs mount, it's stock config. Just now, I've turned on the debug logging to see if that might shed any light in logs. I've poked around a bit in /var/log after a restart, but nothing stood out (to my noob eyes).
Likely a failing SD card
I’m not sure of the physical size of my NAS music collection but I have about 500 albums, and 8000 ‘songs’ - library update is very quick, certainly no more than a few minutes. I wonder if the quality of your metadata is an issue, or maybe some metadata corruption - just a thought.

Geoff
(03-27-2021, 04:34 AM)seanleblanc Wrote: Hi, I recently set this up (using X400 v3.0 + with Raspberry Pi). I get things set up - pointing at a NFS share, and then do Update Library, and wait. I then come back later to check on how it's doing, and the page is unresponsive, page does not refresh.

I can no longer ssh in, nor even ping. So I power off and back on, and try again. After starting up, I see a fraction of my music library seems to be indexed, or in the most recent case, nothing at all seems to be in the library. I kick off update again, and it seems to do the same thing - eventually, I can no longer reach the pi over the network.

Is there anything useful to try to look at to determine what is happening here? Is my library (1.1T) just too big? Other than setting timezone, setting up wifi ssid/password, setting the audio config for X400 v3.0, and adding the nfs mount, it's stock config. Just now, I've turned on the debug logging to see if that might shed any light in logs. I've poked around a bit in /var/log after a restart, but nothing stood out (to my noob eyes).

MPD is known to crash during Lib update when running the 64 bit kernel.

Otherwise the symptoms suggest something external to moOde software for example a bad SDCard, power supply, network issue, hardware issue, 3rd party software or tweaks installed, etc.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-27-2021, 08:24 AM)GStevens Wrote: I’m not sure of the physical size of my NAS music collection but I have about 500 albums, and 8000 ‘songs’ - library update is very quick,  certainly no more than a few minutes.  I wonder if the quality of your metadata is an issue, or maybe some metadata corruption - just a thought.

Geoff

When you say quality of metadata, do you mean the tags within mp3 files, for example? Or are you talking about something else?
(03-27-2021, 12:08 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 04:34 AM)seanleblanc Wrote: Hi, I recently set this up (using X400 v3.0 + with Raspberry Pi). I get things set up - pointing at a NFS share, and then do Update Library, and wait. I then come back later to check on how it's doing, and the page is unresponsive, page does not refresh.

MPD is known to crash during Lib update when running the 64 bit kernel.

Otherwise the symptoms suggest something external to moOde software for example a bad SDCard, power supply, network issue, hardware issue, 3rd party software or tweaks installed, etc.

Okay, I wondered if it was not hardware. If anyone else has the same DAC (X400 v3.0), and can recommend a power supply, I'm all ears. I'll try swapping out what I have now.

Also, I just bought the SD card (128g and I forget what brand), but same thing there - maybe it's not working correctly. If someone has recommendations of good SD cards (and sizes) I'd love to hear them.

I did try Volumio before this, and had a few quirks - like it being impossibly slow on doing a search for example. Also, if I turned the volume completely up, it would cause a restart. I'm not sure if that was overheating or related to bad/underpower PS.
(03-27-2021, 06:42 AM)vinnn Wrote: Likely a failing SD card

Okay, thanks for the suggestion. Is there any way to try to verify that via some commands I can run in Linux that may test some things?

I'll happily swap this out for another, and as I said in my other reply, I'm taking suggestions on reliable brands/sizes.

The current card is a SAMSUNG EVO Select 128GB MicroSDXC.
You might want to post the Moode startup log.

Code:
1. Reboot
2. moodeutl -l
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-27-2021, 01:53 PM)seanleblanc Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 08:24 AM)GStevens Wrote: I’m not sure of the physical size of my NAS music collection but I have about 500 albums, and 8000 ‘songs’ - library update is very quick,  certainly no more than a few minutes.  I wonder if the quality of your metadata is an issue, or maybe some metadata corruption - just a thought.

Geoff

When you say quality of metadata, do you mean the tags within mp3 files, for example? Or are you talking about something else?

Yes, the tags.  I don't know how the Moode indexing works, or whether this may be affected - I'm sure that Tim will be able to clarify.

Geoff
@seanleblanc

The symptom "the page is unresponsive, page does not refresh" might suggest that the mpd process has halted but the symptoms "I can no longer ssh in, nor even ping" suggest a more basic problem(s). 

@vinnn has already suggested one possibility, a bad uSD card (or bad flash of the moOde image to the card). This was a bigger problem in the past than it seems to be now but it's always a possibility. The brand and model you name are high quality (be sure you get a genuine article and not a counterfeit). As an aside, I consider a 128GB card to be serious overkill---an 8GB or 16GB card for moOde and a large USB thumbdrive or SSD for music makes more sense. Sooner or later you'll be reflashing moOde and you'll hate yourself if you have to reflash a big music librarySmile

Another possibility is inadequate power to the RPi. The moodeutl log which Tim has suggested will show useful information if you're suffering undervoltage conditions.

I could make other conjectures but it's pointless without more information.

As for track metadata, mpd does *all* its indexing based on the track metadata. Malformed metadata can stop mpd. See, for example, the discussion MPD troubleshooting on the Arch LInux Wiki. You can see where mpd stops indexing by examining the log file /var/log/mpd/log

The first thing we need to see to help debug further is the command-line output from moodeutl -l as Tim suggested.

Regards,
Kent