Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode and Apple usb-c dongle
Hello,
I´ve been researching if its possible to use the Apple USB-C dac / amp dongle with a RPI. In a thread at audiosciencereview (ASR) forum its been confirmed to work if Raspbian OS and Kernel 4.19 are used.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...ost-880304
I want to use Moode to utilize the 12 band Peq with Sptify, as I read in the release notes it was lunched in version 7.0. But unfortunately Kernal 4.19.x was used last time in version 6.5.x so if installing the old version I miss out on the 12 peq, if moode behaves same as Raspbian. There’s still a possibility that Apple usb-c dac actually work with Moode even Kernal is the later version 5, since its not been tested by the member in ASR forum. Can anyone confirm or test this setup?

Thanks
It works fine: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...6#pid35606 as does the 12 band parametric EQ. I have never used Spotify though.
(08-16-2021, 09:58 PM)Sehnsucht Wrote: It works fine: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...6#pid35606 as does the 12 band parametric EQ. I have never used Spotify though.

Great thanks. 
Are you running last version of Moode on the Zero? 
May you test Spotify built in or via Connect from your phone? 
Do you have any harder load headphones to test? I’m looking at the DT770 80 ohm version but uncertain if the apple dongle will drive it, and since I’m in EU I only get 1/2 the original power.
(08-17-2021, 05:57 AM)Niklasmagnus Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 09:58 PM)Sehnsucht Wrote: It works fine: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...6#pid35606 as does the 12 band parametric EQ. I have never used Spotify though.

Great thanks. 
Do you have any harder load headphones to test? I’m looking at the DT770 80 ohm version but uncertain if the apple dongle will drive it, and since I’m in EU I only get 1/2 the original power.

Yep, latest version (7.3).
I'm not sure what you mean about testing Spotify.
I'm not sure if my Sennheiser HD 595 headphones are the old (120 ohm) or new (50 ohm) variant.  Given the age they might well be the harder to drive 120 ohm, which means your 80 ohm ones should be louder. I know there's more to it than just the impedance, though.   I could do with a little more volume on some tracks.  And the dongle is not powerful enough to satisfy me when I use my 150 ohm HD 660 S.  I'm using the EU dongle and might try and source a US one at some point.
(08-17-2021, 09:03 AM)Sehnsucht Wrote:

Great thanks. 

I'm not sure if my Sennheiser HD 595 headphones are the old (120 ohm) or new (50 ohm) variant.  Given the age they might well be the harder to drive 120 ohm, which means your 80 ohm ones should be louder. I know there's more to it than just the impedance, though.   I could do with a little more volume on some tracks.  And the dongle is not powerful enough to satisfy me when I use my 150 ohm HD 660 S.  I'm using the EU dongle and might try and source a US one at some point.

I must have missunderstod the Spotify setup. I thought there was two ways to access Spotify.
If you are using the 120 ohm then a DT770 should work fine. Thanks for feedback. 
Have you tried different (ampere-wize) power supplies if you get more power to your headphones?
(08-17-2021, 11:58 AM)Niklasmagnus Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 09:03 AM)Sehnsucht Wrote:

Great thanks. 

I must have missunderstod the Spotify setup. I thought there was two ways to access Spotify.
If you are using the 120 ohm then a DT770 should work fine. Thanks for feedback. 
Have you tried different (ampere-wize) power supplies if you get more power to your headphones?

I've run the pi zero w from a powerbank, and both a low and high wattage usb charger and I've noticed no difference.  The EU one is known to be quiet.  I keep meaning to buy a voltmeter but I don't have a lot of use for them so I've never got around to it but I spent a little time before I found moode where played around with alsa/alsaequal etc and I'm pretty sure I'm maxing it from a hardware point of view.  I tend to use this portable system when I'm doing other stuff which requires concentration so I'm never going to be blasting out anything too loud.   I have a second moode/dac/amp/headphones set up for that!
Here's what I did to get this to work on a Pi 4 running moOde 7.3.0 2021-06-25:
1. Use USB-C to type A adapter so that the USB-C can still be used for power.
2. Plug into USB port, then connect headphones or other audio device to dongle to make sure that the Pi treats the dongle as being "in use".
3. Boot device and check that the dongle shows up as an audio device:
cat /proc/asound/A/stream0

you should see something like:
Apple, Inc. USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack
4. Go to Audio -> MPD Config and make sure Audio output is set to "USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack, then click SAVE
The default for mine was set to Pi HDMI 1

You can go to System Info to confirm that the correct audio device is in use.
Mine looks like this:

A U D I O P A R A M E T E R S

Audio device = USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack A
Interface = USB

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)