Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release
No betas but the production release could be this month :-)

Code:
Authenticated to moode ([192.168.1.204]:22).
Linux: 11.2 | 5.15.23-v7+ #1525 | armv7l (32-bit)
Raspi: Pi-3B+ 1.3 1GB
Audio: Pi HDMI 1

____     __      ___
         __ _  ___  / __ \___/ /__   ( _ )
        /  ' \/ _ \/ /_/ / _  / -_) / _  |
       /_/_/_/\___/\____/\_,_/\__/  \___/

moOde audio player
             Release 8.0.0 2022-MM-DD
               (C) 2014 Tim Curtis

The programs included with moOde are free software; the
exact distribution terms for each program are described
in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright or
in the moOde source files. moOde comes with absolutely
no warranties either expressed or implied, or any other
such guarantees.

To set a new password for the user 'pi' type 'passwd'.

pi@moode:~ $
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
the best thing that happened to the raspberry pi Big Grin
Would it be possible, when there's a major update, for the currently running moOde instance to download the new moOde image to attached storage (in my case the 4th drive with all my flacs on), do a backup/restore of the current config into that image, and then write it to the current SD card and reboot?

On a related note, how are people writing to the SD card in the first place. The only device I have with an SD card slot is a chromebook, so I have to use a chrome extension, designed for creating recovery images for it, to create the image. It takes ages. I have a couple of SD card -> USB dongles but they don't seem to work reliably on my Ubuntu desktop. Over the years I've had a few dongles and a few desktops and it's as if they can't handle larger SD cards (larger than 2gb, that is). Is this a known problem, or am I just unlucky? Is there a name I should be looking for before buying another one?
That type of upgrade process would be prone to errors and when it failed would most likely result in a dead system :-0

For writing images I use the official Raspy Pi Imager. It supports Mac, Windows, x86 Ubuntu and RaspiOS.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

My iMac has an uSD card slot and I mostly use that for writing images but I've also used a USB-uSD adapter in a USB port and it works just as well. Below is a link to the adapter I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTQ...UTF8&psc=1
Enjoy the Music!
@Sehnsucht

I use an old Lenovo Thinkpad laptop which has the usual USB ports as well as a SD port. I routinely flash moOde to uSD card either via a USB-uSD adapter or via a SD-uSD adapter. Both adapters were included in SanDisk memory card purchases I made sometime in the past. Card capacities have ranged from 4GB (well, ok, that's too small these days) to 64GB.

In short, I haven't suffered problems such as you report.

The adapter Tim linked to looks very cool and I might yet get one because it is USB3.0 compatible, which mine are not. Then again, my laptop is too old to have a USB3.0 port so the speed advantage would accrue only if I flashed from my RPi4s.

I use the Balena Etcher out of habit but, as Tim said, the Raspberry Pi Imager works fine.

Regards,
Kent

PS - There are some clever ways to deal with the problem of writing a new system from a working system...cases in point: a uSD card swapping method; more recently, the method being developed by the RPF for RPi4b-like hosts...but to me these are similar to the parlor trick of sipping water out of a glass while standing on one's head.

ETA - PPS - This with either LinuxMint or, previously, Win10Pro as the host on the laptop.
Here's draft release notes for upcoming moOde 8.

We are currently testing 5.15.y kernels :-)

Along with moOde 8 there will be a new moodeaaudio dot org website with a special Developer section that contains a Master Guide on how to develop code for moOde including use of Gulp, Package Build and Image Build. 

Code:
################################################################################
#
# 2022-MM-DD TC moOde 8.0.0
#
################################################################################

New features

- NEW: Raspberry Pi OS 11.2 (Bullseye)
- NEW: Linux kernel 5.15.23 #1525

Radio stations

- NEW: DR P1, P2, P3, P4
- UPD: DR P6 Beat
- UPD: DR P8 Jazz

Updates
- UPD: Bump to MPD 0.23.5
- UPD: Bump to Ashuffle 3.12.8
- UPD: Bump to Squeezelite 1.9.8-1317
- UPD: Bump to Pi-Bluetooth 0.1.18
- UPD: Use Bluetooth controller mode "dual" (BR/EDR and LE)
- UPD: Move MPD Audio output and Volume type to Audio Config
- UPD: Ignore articles when sorting Composers in Tag View
- UPD: Improve scan for Samba shares
- UPD: Handle case where Receiver Discovery has not been run
- UPD: Add librespot normalization settings to System info
- UPD: Add reference to enable IGMP Snooping in Multiroom Setup
- UPD: Add accent colors Berry, BlueLED, Moss and Lipstick
- UPD: Add "Clear queue" to Playbar/Playback context menus
- UPD: Remove seldom used Clear/Add from context menus
- UPD: Exclude Dummy from MPD Output device list
- UPD: Restrict DF to local file systems in moodeutl -m
- UPD: SSH login banner indicates how to set new password
- UPD: Auto-expand rootfs to size of media at boot
- UPD: Remove 64-bit kernel option

Bug fixes

- FIX: Parsing nameserver from resolv.conf
- FIX: tx_query_timeout not being applied in updReceiverVol()
- FIX: Mixer name not being quoted in rx config
- FIX: Merus chip options not being saved
Enjoy the Music!
this is the standard or modified bullseye kernel ?
Its a stock kernel with our custom drivers added.

Code:
aloop         ALSA Loopback driver - 384K
ax88179_178a  ASIX Eth/USB driver - Allo enhanced for USBridge SIG
pcm1794a      PCM1794a codec - 384K
rtl88xxau     Realtek driver for Comfast CF-912AC WiFi adapter
Enjoy the Music!
Hi Tim, Would it be very difficult to be able to save multiple WiFi SSIDs and Passphrases so that MoOde could be portable between locations?

Currently, if I want to take my MoOde player to another home, I have to re-configure the WiFi to that location and then have to re-configure it back to my own home when I return.

It would be nice if MoOde behaved like my Android Phone and remembered and automatically connected to a remembered SSID.

Robin
It's more a matter of time and priority on the TODO list rather than difficulty. Hopefully it will bubble up near the top for a post 8.0.0 release or another dev will take it on :-)
Enjoy the Music!