Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Unknown AlbumArtist showing in tag library for flac files with performer / composer
(01-25-2023, 04:40 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 04:05 PM)new_bloke Wrote: Thanks for the responses. I must say that the artist array seems to be focusing on a rather niche requirement - namely classical recordings. I'd prefer if it were either optional or configurable. Perhaps even the option to only apply this behaviour to specific genres. For now, I'll just update the affected files with a specific album artist tag.
At least I am reassured it's not me doing something wrong with the configuration...

There will be plenty of folk along in a minute to say classical is far from niche!  Smile
An option to ignore the array and just use Artist could be n idea, although the number of Artist and AlbumArtist options is already high (I've my own track record of adding to the clutter in  these options)

I'm absolutely not suggesting that classical music is niche. I'm saying that requirement to munge artist / performer / conductor details into album artist is a niche one and that only really means anything for classical recordings, if then.
My opinion is that it's reasonable to infer Album artist from artist, if it's not present explicitly - that handles compilation / various artists recordings well. Adding in every single performer, is less appropriate in many cases, and doing that by default and labelling the result "unknown albumartist" isn't terribly useful - at least to me.
However, I can see that explicitly setting a value for album artist will make my issue go away, so that's what I'll have to do Smile
(01-25-2023, 05:21 PM)new_bloke Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 04:40 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 04:05 PM)new_bloke Wrote: Thanks for the responses. I must say that the artist array seems to be focusing on a rather niche requirement - namely classical recordings. I'd prefer if it were either optional or configurable. Perhaps even the option to only apply this behaviour to specific genres. For now, I'll just update the affected files with a specific album artist tag.
At least I am reassured it's not me doing something wrong with the configuration...

There will be plenty of folk along in a minute to say classical is far from niche!  Smile
An option to ignore the array and just use Artist could be n idea, although the number of Artist and AlbumArtist options is already high (I've my own track record of adding to the clutter in  these options)

I'm absolutely not suggesting that classical music is niche. I'm saying that requirement to munge artist / performer / conductor details into album artist is a niche one and that only really means anything for classical recordings, if then.
My opinion is that it's reasonable to infer Album artist from artist, if it's not present explicitly - that handles compilation / various artists recordings well. Adding in every single performer, is less appropriate in many cases, and doing that by default and labelling the result "unknown albumartist" isn't terribly useful - at least to me.
However, I can see that explicitly setting a value for album artist will make my issue go away, so that's what I'll have to do Smile

The challenge is that when there are multiple "artists" present there is no good way to determine which one should be assigned to the AlbumArtist tag. thus "Unknown AlbumArtist" is better IMO then assigning the wrong Artist.

The rationale behind considering Performer and Conductor along with Artist as "Artist" is because it nicely covers the type of tagging often used in Classical and Jazz genres and it has little effect on the many Pop genres that typically don't include Performer and Conductor tags.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-25-2023, 06:48 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The rationale behind considering Performer and Conductor along with Artist as "Artist" is because it nicely covers the type of tagging often used in Classical and Jazz genres and it has little effect on the many Pop genres that typically don't include Performer and Conductor tags.

Until one tags a popular collection from MusicBrainz and has an album that a hyper-fan has tagged with all the session musicians, the tea lady, and the fella that wound the coils in the pickup of the lead guitar!  I've had albums with so many performers that a single track took up more space than the even my largest laptop had in the "show tracks" screen.
In the final analysis, moOde still seems to be in the sweet spot for how these incompatibilities are handled.  If AlbumArtist isn't set it will say so after making a reasonable stab at guessing what it might be (although, would "not set" be better than "Unknown").  If a user doesn't like the result, the answer is to set the tag explicitly.  The Artist Array takes the most commonly used tags for Classical, Jazz and Popular music for display.  If a user (me) doesn't like the result the answer is to remove the tags that are unnecessary.
----------------
Robert
(01-26-2023, 08:32 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Until one tags a popular collection from MusicBrainz and has an album that a hyper-fan has tagged with all the session musicians, the tea lady, and the fella that wound the coils in the pickup of the lead guitar!  I've had albums with so many performers that a single track took up more space than the even my largest laptop had in the "show tracks" screen.
In the final analysis, moOde still seems to be in the sweet spot for how these incompatibilities are handled.  If AlbumArtist isn't set it will say so after making a reasonable stab at guessing what it might be (although, would "not set" be better than "Unknown").  If a user doesn't like the result, the answer is to set the tag explicitly.  The Artist Array takes the most commonly used tags for Classical, Jazz and Popular music for display.  If a user (me) doesn't like the result the answer is to remove the tags that are unnecessary.

Maybe they heard about your problem- Big Grin
https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/8/222730...een-laptop
----------
bob
(01-26-2023, 09:19 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 08:32 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Until one tags a popular collection from MusicBrainz and has an album that a hyper-fan has tagged with all the session musicians, the tea lady, and the fella that wound the coils in the pickup of the lead guitar!  I've had albums with so many performers that a single track took up more space than the even my largest laptop had in the "show tracks" screen.

Maybe they heard about your problem- Big Grin
https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/8/222730...een-laptop

I could have vocalists on one screen, drummers on another, the tea ladies on that one by the keyboard!
----------------
Robert
(01-26-2023, 08:32 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 06:48 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The rationale behind considering Performer and Conductor along with Artist as "Artist" is because it nicely covers the type of tagging often used in Classical and Jazz genres and it has little effect on the many Pop genres that typically don't include Performer and Conductor tags.

Until one tags a popular collection from MusicBrainz and has an album that a hyper-fan has tagged with all the session musicians, the tea lady, and the fella that wound the coils in the pickup of the lead guitar!  I've had albums with so many performers that a single track took up more space than the even my largest laptop had in the "show tracks" screen.

LOL. The tea lady, thats whats been missing in my collection ;-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub