Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Upload to USB
Hi,

I'm trying to upload music to a USB attached to the PI, I'm using CyberDuck, but I keep on getting a message saying that I do not have permission to upload to the directory:

My USB is named Music
I am trying to upload to media/Music

I am connecting using:
SSH File transfer protocol
<Pi IP)
User: pi
Password:moodeaudio
(01-03-2019, 10:23 AM)kolakidd Wrote: Hi,

I'm trying to upload music to a USB attached to the PI, I'm using CyberDuck, but I keep on getting a message saying that I do not have permission to upload to the directory:

My USB is named Music

I am connecting using:
<Pi IP)

Am I missing something here? Obviously I’m a newbie, so is the lack of response because this is not possible?
(01-07-2019, 07:36 PM)kolakidd Wrote:

My USB is named Music

I am connecting using:
<Pi IP)

Am I missing something here? Obviously I’m a newbie, so is the lack of response because this is not possible?

I had it working once but the transfer speed was slow and I reverted to unplugging the HDD from the Pi and transferring files to it directly from my MacBook.
(01-07-2019, 07:36 PM)kolakidd Wrote:

My USB is named Music

I am connecting using:
<Pi IP)

i'm not familiar with "SSH File transfer protocol" but I think it requires sftp-server to be running. There is an sftp package already present in stretch-lite but I have no idea how to configure it.

Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ dpkg -l | grep sftp
ii  openssh-sftp-server              1:7.4p1-10+deb9u4              armhf        secure shell (SSH) sftp server module, for SFTP access from remote machines

The other option for transferring files is via Samba to the Samba shares that are automatically posted by moOde.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Accessing the smb shares that moode offers is the best way to access a pi mounted hard drive for light file copying. If you need to transfer a lot of data then direct connection to your pc would be preferable as it’ll go much faster.

My USB is named Music

I am connecting using:
<Pi IP)

Works here.

Example:
Code:
reed@T520 ~/Music/FormatTest/SineWave $ sftp pi@192.168.1.182
pi@192.168.1.182's password:
Connected to 192.168.1.182.
sftp> put SWM16.*
Uploading SWM16.aac to /home/pi/SWM16.aac
SWM16.aac                                                                   100%  242KB 242.0KB/s   00:00    
Uploading SWM16.aiff to /home/pi/SWM16.aiff
SWM16.aiff                                                                  100%   20MB   2.5MB/s   00:08    
Uploading SWM16.asf to /home/pi/SWM16.asf
SWM16.asf                                                                   100% 1015KB   1.0MB/s   00:00    
Uploading SWM16.flac to /home/pi/SWM16.flac
SWM16.flac                                                                  100% 1888KB   1.8MB/s   00:00    
Uploading SWM16.m4a to /home/pi/SWM16.m4a
SWM16.m4a                                                                   100%  397KB 397.1KB/s   00:01    
Uploading SWM16.ogg to /home/pi/SWM16.ogg
SWM16.ogg                                                                   100%  176KB 176.4KB/s   00:00    
Uploading SWM16.wma to /home/pi/SWM16.wma
SWM16.wma                                                                   100% 4043KB   4.0MB/s   00:01    
Uploading SWM16.wma.save to /home/pi/SWM16.wma.save
SWM16.wma.save                                                              100% 4038KB   3.9MB/s   00:01    
sftp>

Note that these files went to pi's home directory because I didn't first execute a "cd".

Regards,
Kent
Works same for me too :-)

It looks like sftp-server is automatically started on the target when the connection is made.

Code:
pi@rp5:~ $ sftp rp3
pi@rp3's password:
Connected to rp3.
sftp> lcd /media/VFAT128/Test_mixed/Raymond/Lick\ Your\ Ticket/
sftp> put *.*
Uploading ...

pi@rp3:~ $ pgrep sftp-server
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Many thanks! it worked perfectly as a Samba share, I basically just found the device in my Mac network, accessed as a guest, and have copied files over. It's only one album which is bearable with the transfer speeds.