Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Composer list in library browser
(06-03-2018, 07:00 PM)raindog Wrote: My proposition was - I hope - the easiest way to incorporate the classical music to Moode. The "name" tag is practically not used; retagging the collection takes just a few clicks and several dozen minutes of waiting. That's workaurond, I agree. But it's much better than dealing with "artist", "album" and "title".

Going to the basic level  Wink . My designation of classical library is simple: a "classical" genre tag. The trick is, that I'm using this tag multiple times in one file, ie one file has few genre tags, of which one is "classical". The rest is more specific: "opera", "medieval" and so on. Most of the software I know recognise this [1].

[1] From my personal experience: foobar2000, MusicBee, JRiver, BubbleUPnP, Minim Server, BubbleUPnP Server, Mp3tag editor.

On the use of the "name" tag, you may well be right. It's better than nothing. Then we'd want to be able to select all tracks associated with a specific value of "name" instead of "album" in order to play a typical recorded performance of a work.

As for multiple genre tags, I know most tagging schemes allow it, certainly the FLAC Vorbis-comment scheme does. My reticence was based on a cockeyed understanding of MPD's use of tags. For some reason, I thought it was imposing a single genre per track like old MP3 systems did. I just tried tagging a couple of flac files with multiple genres (using values not previously appearing in my collection) and whaddya know, after rescanning, all the values show up in the Genres column in the Library panel. 

Based on this, it would be possible to create a Classical Library panel by filtering for tracks with "classical" as one of the genre tag values; the Genres column would then display what amount to subgenre tag values. 

But this gets back to my vague notion of a user-configurable Library panel:  jazz aficionados could similarly filter for "jazz" and display subgenres (about 1/3 of my collection is jazz, as it happens); world-music fans similarly, etc. Whether it's one all-purpose panel which allows me to choose the tags to present in columnar format or several genera-specific panels is a matter of taste (and coding complexity, of course).

The bottom line: I like flexibility and dislike creating Procrustean beds for others. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Regards,
Kent

Messages In This Thread
Composer list in library browser - by timbarnes - 05-02-2018, 04:38 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by raindog - 06-02-2018, 10:22 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by raindog - 06-03-2018, 11:52 AM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by raindog - 06-03-2018, 07:00 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by TheOldPresbyope - 06-03-2018, 09:11 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by raindog - 06-04-2018, 10:47 AM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by raindog - 06-04-2018, 10:29 AM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by swizzle - 06-03-2018, 07:11 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by imazed - 06-10-2018, 09:20 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by imazed - 06-11-2018, 10:06 AM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by raindog - 06-04-2018, 10:39 AM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by imazed - 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by imazed - 06-11-2018, 07:46 PM
RE: Composer list in library browser - by rongon - 09-17-2018, 05:03 AM