Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Enhanced rotary encoder & button input
(05-08-2020, 09:49 AM)pgzh1 Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 09:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I had to switch to the Python based RPi.GPIO library because of this.

Tim, would you consider including the pigpio lib in moOde or would you prefer another library (available for C) as replacement for wiringPi?
I don't want to make the possibility of using my tools unnecessary complicated for you and as I said, I still haven't really decided what to use in the future myself. So I'd really appreciate your feedback on this.

(05-03-2020, 09:41 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: All very DIY.

If you're planning to build a selector switch I'd be really interested in the wiring, since I can't imagine any easy way.
Alternatively, a easier solution may be adding a 'modifier button' that allows a secondary set of functions to the other buttons if pressed to save GPIO pins. Of course this would lead to less possible functions (2*(n-1) vs. 2^n) and not work with rotational switches, but would avoid the complicated wiring.

I don't have enough experience with GPIO libs to make a specific recommendation but I certainly could include the pigpio library in upcoming moOde 6.6.0. The only concern is that the maintainer notes that there may be issues on Pi-4B http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/

"At the moment pigpio on the Pi4B is experimental. I am not sure if the DMA channels being used are safe. The Pi4B defaults are primary channel 7, secondary channel 6. If these channels do not work you will have to experiment. You can set the channels used by the pigpio daemon by invoking it with the -d and -e options, e.g. sudo pigpiod -d 5 -e 8 to specify primary 5, secondary 8."

But unlike WiringPi this lib is actively maintained and so there would be a likelihood that 4B issues would be fixed :-)

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub

Messages In This Thread
Enhanced rotary encoder & button input - by pgzh1 - 05-02-2020, 07:55 PM
RE: Enhanced rotary encoder & button input - by Tim Curtis - 05-10-2020, 01:30 PM