Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: allow local mpd modifications without overwriting them
(02-08-2021, 07:17 AM)adrii Wrote: You might find you can adapt the mpd_oled code to your needs

https://github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled

It uses cava to calculated the spectrum, and this can be configured to provide a stereo spectrum. You could add a Python wrapper using something like pybind11.

Hi Adrian,

Yeah, I discovered Cava last night after digging through the projects forum.  Your mpd_oled is a slick integration.  I was going to look into Cava more, but it depends how adaptable it is (or how creative my integration can get).

I despise patching systems (as a programmer, that can get old, quickly), and it gets confusing for the inexperienced especially if the system to patch has changed.  Loosely coupled systems are great - each is flexible and can do things how they want, as long as they expose a simple interface for integration.

Leveraging the optional include config file from mpd would be a good solution for this situation, IMO.  The approach Bitlab outlined that I just used only works for the short term since there is no guarantee that it will be there for the next version.  It is really only good for keeping your custom modifications separate from moOde's config for your currently installed version.

I don't know if this is the place to bring up these ideas, but so far it seems that the only only reason for wanting to modify /etc/mpd.conf is to add the FIFO audio file.  If this is the only change that people could really request, then adding a simple checkbox to moOde's config interface would solve the situation.  BUT, it would make moOde far more flexible to simply include the "optional_include" directive in mpd.conf (assuming that it works like moOde's developer tools).

Ian.

Messages In This Thread
RE: allow local mpd modifications without overwriting them - by hindumagic - 02-08-2021, 07:49 PM