Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: allow local mpd modifications without overwriting them
(02-08-2021, 09:19 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The dev tweaks thing is not a feature. If we do anything to facilitate providing raw PCM it has to be for all the audio renderers. The only layer common to all the renderers is ALSA and so the solution lies in constructing an ALSA mechanism that can be turned on/off by user.

I like that approach.  It is system wide and would clear up Adrian's issue with people complaining that the spectrum visualizer doesn't work for bluetooth, airplay, etc.

I wouldn't want to do it if it degrades the sound quality or taxes the pi too much (I'm pi2).  I came across this last night from the Cava project: https://github.com/karlstav/cava#from-al...ice-tricky

I'm not a fan of messing with ALSA (ran an HTPC for almost 20 years), but I'll be willing to help test out modifying the ALSA setup.  ALSA is fine for what it is, but I found that it gets annoying when you try to do anything fancy.

FYI, I quickly tested the functionality of mpd's include_optional config setting.  I used the devtweak to add the line to the end of mpd.conf.  To verify, I added another named FIFO out to /tmp, as well as defining log_level to debug in my included file.  "moodeutl -r" to restart and I have the new FIFO file in /tmp and my logging went from the previously defined "default" (whatever that is) to definitely debug logging.  Pretty good.

I couldn't easily test out the reverse situation, where mpd's include_optional directive is place before a command in the root config file that would redefine it (reverse my test of the debug log_level).  For some reason, restarting mpd via systemctl wasn't behaving and a moodeutl -r rewrites the mpd.conf file, losing my include_optional directive I manually added at the top of the file.  Ok, boring details...

Ian.

Messages In This Thread
RE: allow local mpd modifications without overwriting them - by hindumagic - 02-08-2021, 10:42 PM