Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Can you get "audiophile" sound using a native RP4 USB port into a DAC?
(03-24-2021, 03:11 PM)rebbi Wrote: Does anyone have experience comparing the on-board RP4 USB ports as a transport to a DAC vs. the sound quality of an add-on board like the Allo DigiOne or DigiOne Signature, or something similar? 
Wondering if it pays to try coaxial (SPDIF) with one of those HATs.
I have an excellent DAC with optical (TOSLINK), Coaxial and USB inputs, so I have choices. But since I already have an RP4, I want a transport that makes use of that unit.
Many thanks,

Steve

Depends on a lot of factors. Even the cable quality and lengths, how the dac implemented  each connection to its processor would drive a different  sound signature.

After a lot of tweaking and turning things off, I can get a Rpi4b with USB out to sound as good as the Allo USBridge sig using the clean USB out. However, if you are not willing to spend resources to tweak, just out of the box, the Allo USBridge sig sounds better.

It also depends on your set up as well as your taste of music.

If you decide to go the regular Rpi4b route, make sure you have a very very clean, stable and good power supply.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can you get "audiophile" sound using a native RP4 USB port into a DAC? - by Jandu - 03-25-2021, 02:33 AM