Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode Update Policy and resulting Security
(11-09-2021, 06:58 PM)TCr82 Wrote: We can't say it is safe, just because it is inside our own network. That`s really misleading!
I didn't quite say that, I said inside your network which you have secured.  The safety comes from securing the perimeter properly.

(11-09-2021, 06:58 PM)TCr82 Wrote: This would mean, that we never need to update our browser, because he is running on our local machine in our own network? No!
That is a useless comparison.

(11-09-2021, 06:58 PM)TCr82 Wrote: What I want to say, it is easy to fix this problem - one example is on Debian Package Management is is possible to mark modified packages - so we can set them on hold.
But, marking packages as hold prevents them from updating, and so would leave any vulnerability unpatched, so you gain nothing.

(11-09-2021, 06:58 PM)TCr82 Wrote: I understand that is easy for u to support this construct, when u just say, "pls reimage the sd card" - but at this point a user have maybe put a lot of effort in the setup.
There is a fine settings backup utility in moOde that takes this issue away.

(11-09-2021, 06:58 PM)TCr82 Wrote: But in the end, the creators of moOde must see the need to improve this masterpiece to make it more stable and, above all, safer.

Thomas

You seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area, I'm sure that if you applied some of that to resolving the issues you see and submitting a pull request the repository your efforts would be welcomed.  This is proper Open Source after all, anyone can contribute.
----------------
Robert

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moode Update Policy and resulting Security - by the_bertrum - 11-10-2021, 02:44 PM