Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Solved: HiFiBerry DAC2 HD
(07-01-2020, 03:18 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: Having been burned by buying hardware for which there is actually no software that makes use of it effectively, I feel the pain of the OP.  My case is one step worse in that HiFiBerry do at least seem to have developed a driver for this board, where as the one I bought relies on drivers for other boards that happen to have the same chip!
It does seem to be a strange situation that the manufacturers go to the effort and cost of designing and building things, then don't make sure they can actually be used in the real world, but I suppose that's why the devices and software in this DIY world are so much cheaper than the off the shelf stuff.  Collaboration between player maker and board maker costs money and you can see this reflected in the costs of the products.  ALLO make "turnkey" solutions with player and all components included, but at a prices comparable with other off the shelf.  Volumio also offer turnkey at mainstream prices and will approach board makes for assistance with integration, but only if you are on an expensive monthly plan.
I have to remind my self that this top notch equipment I have to listen to my music on cost me less than £100 and is essentially built on a device that's main job is to teach programming to school kids.
So in short, there are three options: pay turnkey prices for a turnkey solution; pay DIY prices for proven combinations and live with any limitations; pay DIY prices for new combinations and do the work of getting it integrated.

The OP has no pain with this :-)
Hi!

I'm understanding that the service from Tim called Moode Audio Player is not free of charge. That is absolutly right. Moode Audio Playes is business and generates revenue. I was glad in the past to pay for Moode Audio Player licences. For me as a customer was a great deal: pay for licences and get some updates for free. But without licence fees, Moode needs another monetarisation. This is the symbiotic business model between ALLO (maybe also other DAC module manufactors) and Moode means: a manufactor has to pay for integration of their products in Moode Audio. This is possible through Tim Curtis intellectual property called Mood Audio Software. Without full knowladge which configuration files and parameters has to be modified for integration of new DAC module in Moode Audio Software, manufactors depends on service provided by Tims gatekeeper business. That is is business model, that maybe works fine.

ALLOs business model means, customer has to pay for any feature, like a stable and exact time base, an extra fee. From technical point of view it is better to have the time base next to dac chip to avoid long signal path. So there others manufactors like IQAudio or MamboBerry or ... that prefers a cleaner technical solution by providing a time base on the same board where the DAC chip is. Unfurtenallity such a smart technical solution don't generates an additional revenue from customer. Bad for manufactor good for customer.

In my first post I have offered my spare time as help for integration HiFiBerry DAC2 HD. Only what I'm asked for, was as small HowTo which files has to be modified for creating a new device in the DAC list and which configurations files hast to be changed. But see above: If my thoughts are right, such a HowTo could destroy the suspected business model and could't be provided...

Regards
Peter
I have no idea what you are talking about. moOde is Free Open Source Software (FOSS) and the moOde project has no business or financial relationship with Allo or any other company.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-02-2020, 11:15 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about. moOde is Free Open Source Software (FOSS) and the moOde project has no business or financial relationship with Allo or any other company.

This is just a sick person.
(07-02-2020, 04:34 PM)ear5142 Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 11:15 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about. moOde is Free Open Source Software (FOSS) and the moOde project has no business or financial relationship with Allo or any other company.

This is just a sick person.

... it does not sound normaHl  to me... Confused
FYI, I just emailed Hifiberry support about a possible DAC2 HD compatibility with Moode Audio Player in the near future.

Considering Moode Audio is a serious project and it already supports a whole lot of older Hifiberry products, my point is that they should provide Tim with a copy of their new DAC.

Let's see if I ever get a reply.
(07-16-2020, 09:05 AM)Frank79 Wrote: FYI, I just emailed Hifiberry support about a possible DAC2 HD compatibility with Moode Audio Player in the near future.

Considering Moode Audio is a serious project and it already supports a whole lot of older Hifiberry products, my point is that they should provide Tim with a copy of their new DAC.

Let's see if I ever get a reply.

Bump! Already got a reply. Here's what Hifiberry has to say about their DAC2 HD compatibility with Moode:

Hi,

The drivers for the DAC2HD is included in the Linux kernel for more than 6 months now. Therefore any up-to-date system should already support it. However, I can't say if Moode needs some additional configuration and we can't control when the Moode developer upgrades the kernel on this system to support this. You need to check with the Moode developers for this.
We can't integrate something into 3rd party software, it's the developers of this software that have to do this.

Best regards,
Daniel
@Frank79
@Tim Curtis

I just abstracted these values from their datasheet

Requires at least Linux kernel 4.19.97

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplushd

I don't know why they couldn't have just said that in their response to you.

And looking at my moOde 6.6.0 player, the kernel is 5.4.49-v8+ and there's /boot/overlays/hifiberry-dacplushd.dtbo

Looks like a little elbow work and the job would be done..

Regards,
Kent
The integration issue is that all these DAC's have chip settings that users want to manipulate via a config screen and if the DAC supports hardware volume then it has a mixer name. Most of these manufacturers including Hifiberry don't publish that information on their product data sheets. In fact they publish as little as possible for their products.

So as you can see by Hifiberry's response they are not generally interested in providing product samples or integration support to software developers. They shift that responsibility to the user or the dev.

My requirement for integrating new audio hardware into moOde as I've stated numerous times is for a sample device, its specifications including all the settings and options that are exposed via ALSA and a person that I can work with for  technical support.

There are several manufacturers that routinely provide this including Allo, Infineon and IQaudIO to name a few, and I've worked with several users that have also donated sample hardware and their time and expertise to get a particular product integrated.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-16-2020, 12:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: So as you can see by Hifiberry's response they are not generally interested in providing product samples or integration support to software developers.

Not to mention they now provide their own OS, which I was kindly invited to try.