Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Qobuz: somes issues
Hello,
As a starting point I'd like a say kudos to this remarquable software.
I'm running 7.01 on USBridge Signature Player. An USB external DAC is attached to it.

I can play Qobuz using Bubble DS without Bubble UPnP server using Android phone which is great (UPnP Client for MPD set to ON)
I can play Qobuz using Qobuz native application on iOS and Airplay
I'm trying to play Qobuz using PC native application and so called beta DNLA mode. An errror is returned (see attachment)    

I noticed that in Edit UPnP config, one can enter Qobuz or Tidal crendentials. I don't understand the need for that. If I get the picture correctly, moOde is not a control point, but only a renderer. As a consequence, credentials are set-up in each application (in my case either Qobuz native app or bubbleDS). I'd like some clarification on this point. As of now, no credentials are set-up

Thank you
@kolia

The software component upmpdcli which provides much of the UPnP services in moOde has the ability to act as a proxy server for Qobuz and Tidal. The credentials must be entered into moOde to enable this. As you have observed, they are not needed if you are using a control point which can itself act as a proxy server. For many, this Tidal service is hopeless and the Qobuz service only marginally better. There are improvements coming in the next release of moOde.

I don't use MS Windows normally so can't address your issue directly. You might try different combinations of settings in moOde's UPnP renderer: UPnP A/V services and/or OpenHome services. I know that, for example, some control points get confused when both services are enabled.

Regards,
Kent
(02-25-2021, 06:09 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: For many, this Tidal service is hopeless and the Qobuz service only marginally better. There are improvements coming in the next release of moOde.

thanks Kent for your prompt reply. But still what do you mean by Qobuz service, since moOde does not act as a proxy to Qobuz?
Got it for MS Windows, I'll do some experiments, but this not my main use af of now
@kolia

Yes, moOde (via upmpdcli) can act as a proxy server for Qobuz. You'll see it appear in your UPnP or OpenHome control point app as an available media server on your LAN if settings are correct. The name will be something like "moode UPNP-mediaserver". This is different from the DLNA server which can be enabled in moOde to gain access to the moOde Library.

I test this capability as we prepare each moOde release (but only for Qobuz). I don't use it, however, because I don't care for the user interfaces on the FOSS control point apps I have available.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks Kent. I'm not too sure I understand. One of my control app is BubbleDS. I have no problem playing to moOde either Qobuz of my local DLNA library (jRiver). Bubble UPnP server is currently deactivated. I have no moOde library and I don't intend too, jRiver beeing my current library).
If "Yes, moOde (via upmpdcli) can act as a proxy server for Qobuz", hence the provision made to put Qobuz credentials into moOde, I would expect moOde acting as a control point. Am I wrong? Is it something under development?
"I test this capability as we prepare each moOde release (but only for Qobuz). I don't use it, however, because I don't care for the user interfaces on the FOSS control point apps I have available."
I'm not sure to understand the meaning of this sentence. Could you elaborate a bit further?
Best regards
Nicolas
@kolia

In relation to your initial post, a 403 error is a http forbidden error code so the issue is that mpd can't authenticate or connect to Qobuz. This is most likely going to be a quirk with the Qobuz application you're using not passing a valid token, especially as it's working fine with other UPnP clients.

Your question about the Tidal/Qobuz authentication settings in Moode's UPnP config, these aren't mandatory. They're there to setup upmpdcli to be a UPnP library.proxy for Tidal/Qobuz, upmpdcli does the authentication and connection to the streaming service and presents the library to your UPnP clients.
Instead, when you're doing the authenticating & browsing client-side (in BubbleUPnP for example) and sending to Moode UPnP like you are now, upmpdcli is just a renderer and the UPnP client is the library/server/proxy.

What UPnP method you choose is purely user preference.
The latter method is the better user experience imo but will use more battery on the client (say if that client is a phone or tablet) and if you disconnect or power off the client the playlist will stop on the renderer.
When upmpdcli is the library you can set an album going in the client, power the client off and the playlist will continue till the end but browsing your Tidal/Qobuz library is a more basic/cludgy experience imo.
@kolia

As @vinnn said, the 403 error (an HTTP error code, by the way) is coming from the Qobuz end of the line.

As for the rest, I think you need to do a little homework on the UPnP/DLNA/OpenHome technologies. Google is your friend.

In a nutshell, three functionalities must be present: media server, media control point, and media renderer. We're discussing different ways of fulfilling those functionalities in software.

Regards,
Kent
(02-26-2021, 11:51 AM)vinnn Wrote: @kolia

In relation to your initial post, a 403 error is a http forbidden error code so the issue is that mpd can't authenticate or connect to Qobuz. This is most likely going to be a quirk with the Qobuz application you're using not passing a valid token, especially as it's working fine with other UPnP clients.

Your question about the Tidal/Qobuz authentication settings in Moode's UPnP config, these aren't mandatory. They're there to setup upmpdcli to be a UPnP library.proxy for Tidal/Qobuz, upmpdcli does the authentication and connection to the streaming service and presents the library to your UPnP clients.
Instead, when you're doing the authenticating & browsing client-side (in BubbleUPnP for example) and sending to Moode UPnP like you are now, upmpdcli is just a renderer and the UPnP client is the library/server/proxy.

What UPnP method you choose is purely user preference.
The latter method is the better user experience imo but will use more battery on the client (say if that client is a phone or tablet) and if you disconnect or power off the client the playlist will stop on the renderer.
When upmpdcli is the library you can set an album going in the client, power the client off and the playlist will continue till the end but browsing your Tidal/Qobuz library is a more basic/cludgy experience imo.

There is also a third way which in my opinion takes the best of the two you, as it uses the phone/tablet to browse Qobuz and manage the playlist and the streamer running moOde to download and play every song in it without any further help from the phone: installing and running a BubbleUPnP  server alongside moOde, on the same device, acting as a OpenHome endpoint.

It is not a turnkey solution, it requires to install Java JRE  and BubbleUPnP server and configure it, anyway a matter of a few minutes. Already discussed also here.

BTW: it could be an idea for moOde next release: a simple script to download and install the software upon user request (not to bloat the standard installation if not needed) and a setting page. What about?
Probably best to post feature requests separately in the Features Request sub-forum so they don't get lost in the shuffle.

Regards,
Kent
Can someone post a link to the license for bubbleupnp server?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub