Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: All to DSD feature
Lightbulb 
Hi, 

I was wishing if we can have PCM cross converted to DSD on the fly. Just like the DS DAC and "All to DSD" in Fiio M11. 
Since we have resampling, will it be possible to have this feature as well ? Would the RPi 4  be able to handle such processing?

Thanks!
(07-01-2021, 07:41 PM)meprateek22 Wrote: Hi, 

I was wishing if we can have PCM cross converted to DSD on the fly. Just like the DS DAC and "All to DSD" in Fiio M11. 
Since we have resampling, will it be possible to have this feature as well ? Would the RPi 4  be able to handle such processing?

Thanks!

That's a very big ask. 

First, there's not a lot of examples of FOSS software being used to do the conversion (there was some SoX add-on work proposed to add DSD/DSF support but I don't see it reflected in the SoX libraries included in moOde.). 

Second, I've come across sites which suggest it takes at least an 2.5GHz Intel I3 CPU with a lot of RAM to do the PCM-to-DSD conversion on the fly. Benchmarking is always a tricky business but there's been various sites suggesting an I3 is roughly 4 times faster than the CPU in an RPi4B in common computing applications.

I'm sure Tim would consider it if some developer created and tested a solution and posted a pull request to the moOde repo but even then there's the configuration aspect to deal with.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks!

Other options would include hardware converters...
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-inter...13769.html

Or stand alone...
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-inter...13770.html

These offload the processing to a dedicated device and so there is no additional load to the RPi4.

(I use the latter in a usb connected DAC build so that I can connect other players..PC etc)
----------
bob

Thanks!

Whats the benefit to doing this format conversion?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-02-2021, 02:43 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Thanks!

Whats the benefit to doing this format conversion?

Benefit is more dynamic sound and wider sound stage. I use this option in Foobar2000 and PCM stream converted to DSD sounds better.