Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode+Topping E50
Hi all.

Testing my new dac Topping E50.
i find it a little 'harsh' on high frequencies (voice or instrumental).
Playing with topping filter do nothing (to my ears).

Iam considering to equalize Moode in some way to 'correct' E50. I think its a great DAC for the price and would like to find a way  to integrate it in my gear , without any complain.

Anybody tried E50 and Use Moode EQ for correct this 'harsh' on high frequencies?

Many thanks for your comments , if any.
My E30 got noticeably better after about a month of use, slightly better again running it from a powerbank, maybe give it some time and see how it settles down?
(10-24-2021, 05:13 PM)stevoknevo Wrote: My E30 got noticeably better after about a month of use, slightly better again running it from a powerbank, maybe give it some time and see how it settles down?

It. Ould be, but might be because your brain auto adapted to that sound…
Anyway i have few days before to decide if send it back on Amazon or take it… i have to decide
(10-21-2021, 03:28 PM)HEGOM Wrote: ....

Anybody tried E50 and Use Moode EQ for correct this 'harsh' on high frequencies?

I agree with the other reply. Most DAC chips would require some burn-in before sounding optimum. I normally let it run for a week or so before critical listening to tell whether it has "good" sound quality.  My current DAC (R2R) takes about 300 hrs of burn in before it sound its best. There are still smaller improvements from 300 to 600 hrs. 

I suggest to let it run for a while longer and see if you like its sound.
do i have to let amplifier on? could i set a playback loop with the same song? would be the same? or could i simply leave it on without input?

thankyou
(10-26-2021, 08:22 AM)HEGOM Wrote: do i have to let amplifier on? could i set a playback loop with the same song? would be the same? or could i simply leave it on without input?

thankyou
You should be good without the amp, however, unless you amp is pure type A, leaving it on does not take much if the volume is low. You amp might need warm up before it reaches its peak as well.

Have fun.
I am fervent fan of the burn-in technique of any new significant device/electronic component which gets added to any audio chain I may use... but the OP has not given ( or asked to give) the circumstances leading to the conclusion << a little 'harsh' on high frequencies >> like:
- a description of the chain of devices involved in the set-up
- whether there were other new components added to the chain at the same time with the e50
- which DAC had been used prior to the new e50 DAC
- whether any steps have been taken to re-check for the 'good' sound of BEFORE against the new 'harsh' sound
- whether a current non-modified MoOde player version has been and is being used
(10-27-2021, 06:16 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: I am fervent fan of the burn-in technique of any new significant device/electronic component which gets added to any audio chain I may use... but the OP has not given ( or asked to give) the circumstances leading to the conclusion <<  a little 'harsh' on high frequencies >> like:
- a description of the chain of devices involved in the set-up
- whether there were other new components added to the chain at the same time with the e50
- which DAC had been used prior to the new e50 DAC
- whether any steps have been taken to re-check for the 'good' sound of BEFORE against the new 'harsh' sound  
- whether a current non-modified MoOde player version has been and is being used

Hi Mike,
Thanks for answer.
Here i came: 
My gear is a raspberry 4 with Moode, to wich is connected an usb hard drive and via usb a topping E50 in DAC configuration. E50 is connected to my Onkyo NR 646 in “Pure Audio” via RCA cables, in order to ‘jump’ Onkyo’s pre and dac.

No other componente were added other than E50 that substitute an E30 that i enjoyed so far.
Moode is used excluding everything , in the simplest configuration, no equalization, no resample. 

After listening E50 , since i dont have E30 here at moment, i connected directly Raspberry to my Onkyo, via HDMI, in pure audiomode, to listen again the same pieces and compare the sound.

Well, something is different to my ears. I find the E50 like somewhat innatural at higher voices tone or instruments.  Oh , i forgot my speakers. They are a couple of floor standing Focal Chorus.

Now iam letting E50 working from yestarday, continuosly, and in few days, its should be ready for another test, i suppose.
(10-27-2021, 08:38 PM)HEGOM Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 06:16 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: .................... snip .........................

Hi Mike,
Thanks for answer.
........ raspberry 4 with Moode ....... Onkyo NR 646 in “Pure Audio” via RCA cables ............ floor standing Focal Chorus.

Now iam letting E50 working from yestarday, continuosly, and in few days, its should be ready for another test, i suppose.

@HEGOM

You have an excellent line-up and the your description of the set-up (including the connectivity) does not allow for anything less than a quality sound experience. I do not have personal experience with the components of your line-up (bar the RPi4 Wink ) but I've read about the Focal Chorus as being highly revealing speakers; maybe the 'jump' in sound accuracy rendering achieved by the E50 and the Focals' openess could be the source of a perceived accentuation of the mid-high and high frequencies...?

Maybe an extended session of 'running-in' the new DAC will eliminte the perceived harshness.

Amir (of AudioScienceReview) has awarded top marks (and top praise) for E50 after running his usually array of tests. If you haven't perused ASR's forum entry regarding Topping E50 yet you can can do it here: ASR Topping E50 tests

By the way, do you listen to your music via headphones as well...? I wonder what is your impression...
Hi Mike, 
thanks for your comments.
I m in tune with you when you imagine that combination between Focal and E50 could be too much 'revealing'.
Anyway iam continuing to let E50 playing alone in these days, so we will see if problem can be reduced.

I have no experience with headphone listening actually. I had in the past , and id like to return to have a VERY good headphone to listen to when i need some music all by myself.
I remember that its a completely different experinece than speakers, and i think i will buy some headphone ampli with valves and a good headphone open .

Thanks for the link you sent. 

I will post here after the 'burning test' is ended and i have time to perform some listening session.

have nice day