Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Is there an issue with IOS Safari & MoOde?
Looking at the link posted by @swinokur, I seem to have highlighted this issue some weeks ago!

In mitigation, I plead other family considerations.......a kitty "heading over the Rainbow Bridge" - but at 17.5 years old, a good innings. And in the last few days, a newly arrived 15 week old Burmese kitten - "manic" ain't the word! Miaow!

Oh yeah, and I tried clearing the Safari browser cache, but it had no effect. Apple store in the UK tells me that mihtool is not available.

So for the moment, I have switched to Google Chrome on the iPad, which works OK. Although, I think Safari has the better GUI for MoOde on the iPad.
It’s more than a year since I wrote about the problems. I have been using Moode since 2015 and never had any problem browsing in folder view. 

Art was showed instanly. About a year and half somthing happend and it became almost impossible to use folderview. It took ages for folder art to show and some were cut in half pictures at start.
I have used countles hours and days to solve it ; retag 36.000 tracks (2600 folders) resize embedded folderart (500x500), tjek for somehow faulty files etc. etc.  All to absolute no avail.

My gear and network have not changed the last 5 years at least, so either browser or moode. It’s about the same on Win. 10 and Ipad Pro 2018 Chrome and Safari. I have changed Pi 3B+ to new 3B+, new Synology NAS and new switch/cables All to no avail.

I did however find a solution I can use and live with - I started downgrading mOode and when I hit ver. 6.7.1 I was able to use my player in folder view again. I have used it for about half a year now.

Edit : A strange thing : If I scroll in “Resently added” folderview then it’s always super quick and smooth, even if its several pages. I got a lot of these when I was re-taggin a lot of files ?
Maybe that's the answer. I have images from 6.6 onwards, but had had no issues with Safari until one of the releases in the mid 7.xx.

I don't use most of the newer "enhancements" anyway.
(04-26-2022, 08:51 PM)suzywong Wrote: Looking at the link posted by @swinokur, I seem to have highlighted this issue some weeks ago!

In mitigation, I plead other family considerations.......a kitty "heading over the Rainbow Bridge" - but at 17.5 years old, a good innings. And in the last few days, a newly arrived 15 week old Burmese kitten - "manic" ain't the word! Miaow!

Oh yeah, and I tried clearing the Safari browser cache, but it had no effect. Apple store in the UK tells me that mihtool is not available.

So for the moment, I have switched to Google Chrome on the iPad, which works OK. Although, I think Safari has the better GUI for MoOde on the iPad.

They will all be waiting for us :-)

Of course bugs can never be ruled out but the challenge with these types of issues is the lack of consistent repro's. It's very difficult to debug something unless the failure can be reproduced on the dev bench. Furthermore there are posts describing the issue and other posts describing no issues whatsoever with similar configs.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Turning "Lazy image loading" off then back on seems to have solved my problem?
(04-26-2022, 10:31 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 08:51 PM)suzywong Wrote: Looking at the link posted by @swinokur, I seem to have highlighted this issue some weeks ago!

They will all be waiting for us :-)

Of course bugs can never be ruled out but the challenge with these types of issues is the lack of consistent repro's. It's very difficult to debug something unless the failure can be reproduced on the dev bench. Furthermore there are posts describing the issue and other posts describing no issues whatsoever with similar configs.
Better take several pockets full of treats.

Anyway, back to this issue. Following Kent and other's suggestion I played around with this "Lazy Image loading" flag which like Kent's was enabled. Disabling the flag certained cured the 50 second initial load time, and the behaviour is repeatable (enabled = 50 seconds; disabled = 3-5 seconds). The delay while scrolling remains.

It makes me wonder what all those other "experimental" features are doing. I will try turning a few off to see whether that makes any difference. And also borrow my wife's iPad, which is a couple of years younger than mine, in case it's a hardware issue.

But now I have just been informed that it is my turn to "kitten-sit"!  Smile
@suzywong

[sidebar]
Kitten-sitting is good for the soul. Our "kitten" is 8 years old (we think; she's a rescue cat) but the principle is the same. We're old enough that three other cats preceded her in my case; four in my partner's case.
[/sidebar]

Given my own experience and the experiences reported by you and others, I'm of the opinion that the observable effect must depend, perhaps even nonlinearly, on the size of the library involved.

I feel the need for a well-characterized test artifact. Toward that end, I'm fleshing out a script to generate a file system containing fake albums. Each album directory contains a few uniquely tagged tracks and a unique random-pixel cover image. Each track contains the memorable 5-tone sequence from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" which I created with a sine-wave generator (a guy's gotta have a little fun!). 

The organizational structure of the file system will be such that I can mount a music source containing 625*N albums depending on which of the N-th subdirectories I publish as an SMB share. I'm thinking N will have to be at least 8 for good coverage; e.g., 5000 albums.

This way I can try to get some reproducible metrics without expending a lot of effort. Of course, this may be irrelevant to the current thread if you discover a magic set of browser settings but I'm too far down the runway to stop now Smile Besides, I can always use the script to generate similar artifacts for other test purposes.

But first, I have a day's worth of housekeeping chores to attend to..

Regards,
Kent

PS - why 625? Because 42 didn't seem big enough.
To add some more.

My wife’s iPad Air 2 is currently running iOS 15.1. With the Lazy Image loading flag disabled, the behaviour is similar to my iPad Pro, albeit it may be a bit slower to load.

What that implies, who knows…….   Confused

And anyway it’s half past five over here in Blighty, the kitten is “knackered”, so it must be time for a Gin & Tonic!
One point I wanted to re-iterate, is that /older/ versions of iOS Safari do *not* exhibit the issue. (again go back to the linked thread I posted earlier.)

So - at some point along the line something was changed with WebKit / Safari -- and in this case not for the better.
Any one looking for a full screen browser for their iPad try TTI browser. You just press 2 fingers on the screen to enter/leave full screen mode. Working very well with my iPad mini and moode.