Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

MQA is folding
Pun intended.

Some interesting commentary from Archimago.  I confess, I've never heard anything with MQA applied, but the fact it needed a little blue light to tell you it was working is always a warning for me.
----------------
Robert
(04-27-2023, 07:27 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Pun intended.

Some interesting commentary from Archimago.  I confess, I've never heard anything with MQA applied, but the fact it needed a little blue light to tell you it was working is always a warning for me.

Thanks very much for the link. Not that I care a fig about MQA, but the Innomaker HiFi DAC Pro HAT review which occupies most of Archimago's post is an eye-opener for me. Performance like that of the Khadas Tone1 board I already love and in a HAT that currently costs 20 bucks less on Amazon. Wow.

Regards,
Kent

PS - +1 for the pun
(04-27-2023, 02:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 07:27 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Pun intended.

Thanks very much for the link. Not that I care a fig about MQA, but the Innomaker HiFi DAC Pro HAT review which occupies most of Archimago's post is an eye-opener for me. Performance like that of the Khadas Tone1 board I already love and in a HAT that currently costs 20 bucks less on Amazon. Wow.

Regards,
Kent

PS - +1 for the pun

Hi Kent,

actually, I also read the entire Archimago's review, and I was astonished at the performance of the two DACs; The Khadas appears to perform extraordinarily well in terms of THD+N, being far below -100dB. All for 80 bucks... Amazingly well engineered.

ETA:
For the MQA thing... glad to see we're all safe (at least for now) from expensive vapourware.
It was the HAT review that attracted me to the post in the first place as well, but I can't justify buying another DAC since the three I already have all do their jobs well enough for my hearing.
----------------
Robert
(04-27-2023, 04:14 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: It was the HAT review that attracted me to the post in the first place as well, but I can't justify buying another DAC since the three I already have all do their jobs well enough for my hearing.

That's what I keep telling myself...but....
(04-27-2023, 04:23 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 04:14 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: It was the HAT review that attracted me to the post in the first place as well, but I can't justify buying another DAC since the three I already have all do their jobs well enough for my hearing.

Looks like this disease is well spread around... :-D
(04-27-2023, 04:51 PM)Nutul Wrote:

No question it is, I too already have the Tone 1 in a nice enclosure, and several other DACs too. But I am still thinking about getting that Innomaker board anyway!
(04-28-2023, 12:49 PM)MikeyFresh Wrote:
(04-27-2023, 04:51 PM)Nutul Wrote:

No question it is, I too already have the Tone 1 in a nice enclosure, and several other DACs too. But I am still thinking about getting that Innomaker board anyway!

Uh, mine’s supposed to arrive Monday. What is it Oscar Wilde said? Something like “I can resist anything but temptation”.  Tongue

Regards,
Kent
Seems MQA managed to cost you some money in the end. Sorry about that.
----------------
Robert
(04-28-2023, 02:21 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: Seems MQA managed to cost you some money in the end.  Sorry about that.

Fortunately, or not, we all learn by trial and error... if there were always the possibility to chose a product in its non-MQA version, I believe most of us would have chosen that path. I for one own a brand new DAC... and yes, it has MQA, but a model without was (is) not available.

Out of pure curiosity I tested it, an I was not able to tell any difference from an ordinary CD-quality flac, neither for the better (wait... what better?!?), nor for the worst (added artifacts).
I just don't care, as I didn't buy it for this; but in the end have (paid for) a feature I'll never use. I just hope the MQA fee didn't add to the cost of the device for more than 50 bucks... ;-)