Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Album View
(02-05-2019, 09:43 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I agree that compilation albums containing tracks with different genres is legit. I don't have any like that but I'm aware that other users have some. Unfortunately that tagging breaks the Library structure. Compilation albums in general are messy since there is no standard tag indicating that a track is part of a compilation.

The Lib hierarchy is created by scanning the MPD database and then building an array that contains the structured data. This array is then sent to the client and loaded into the Browser for presentation via the Library list and albums panels.

-Tim

I see. It would make sense to me to consider a collection of tracks an album if the Album name and Album Artist (or Artist if Album Artist is not populated) are the same. Having Genre at the the top of the tree would make sense when filtering by genre, but not necessary in the Album view.
Right but since the Album view and List view are generated by the same code and from the same structured data it's not as simple as just ignoring Genre for the Album view.

I rarely use the Genre column in the Library list and there have been requests from other users that it should simply be eliminated altogether.

There may be a more elegant solution though. Suggestions welcome :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-05-2019, 11:06 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Right but since the Album view and List view are generated by the same code and from the same structured data it's not as simple as just ignoring Genre for the Album view.

I rarely use the Genre column in the Library list and there have been requests from other users that it should simply be eliminated altogether.

There may be a more elegant solution though. Suggestions welcome :-)

We could separate the views, so there would be separate queries for each view. This data might be queryable with the list ... group queries which are available in 0.21.4.
@Tim Curtis Do you publish your work-in-progress for the 4.5 in a branch? I could take a look at the code and see if there is a fix for this.
The in-development code base is not published to Github. We only use Git to archive the final release.

The code underlying the Library hasn't changed from the 4.4 release so you could just examine those sources on Github to see how it works and then determine whether it can be modified to handle the Genre situation.

www/inc/playerlib.php
function loadLibrary($sock)

www/js/playerlib.js
function loadLibrary()

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(02-03-2019, 06:20 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The Library is organized as a hierarchy.

Code:
Genre
 Artist (or AlbumArtist)
   Album
     Track

If tracks are tagged with same artist, same album but different genres the hierarchy will contain multiple occurrences of the album, one for each genre. For example let's say Tracks 1 - 3 are tagged with Genre A and Tracks 4, 5 are tagged with Genre B, we end up with below.

Code:
Genre A
 Artist B
   Album C
     Track 1
     Track 2
     Track 3

Genre B
 Artist B
   Album C
     Track 4
     Track 5
Hello Tim. I can see that it works exactly as you say it should but why is Genre included in the sort process at all?
It's not a sort that produces the data set for the Library but rather an algorithm that processes the MPD database and turns it into the equivalent of a multi dimensional spreadsheet.

It's what enables the Library panels to deliver the fast click filtering of the music collection by Genre/Artist/album which fits nicely with the way typical popular music collections are organized.

Compilation albums are trouble because there is no standard tag that identifies a track as belonging to a compilation album. If there were then this could be easily incorporated into the Library.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!