Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Album cover thumbnail hang on first read
Hello moode community.

I've been loving moode for quite a while now. Great software but I'm in need of a little help with the new thumbnailer feature as I don't seem to be able to get the new album cover thumbnails to work. Even after an update to 4.4.

When I hit the re-gen cache button in the source config the status hangs on the first file it tries to read.

VIEW cache status:  Processing album 1 NAS/LosslessDownloaded/A Perfect Circle/Eat The Elephant

If I click the "VIEW" button I get no response. Seems the thumbnailer hates me! Smile

Here are some important (maybe) details of my setup.
Music is read over NFS from a FreeBSD NAS

Source paths are... (Special charaters are often a cause of problems!)
bsss/BIGSMELLYRAID2/Music/Dad's Music/Lossless - Owned
bsss/BIGSMELLYRAID2/Music/Dad's Music/Lossless - Downloaded
bsss/BIGSMELLYRAID2/Music/Dad's Music/MP3s - Mixed

Music sorted as 'Artist/Album'

Album covers are embedded (with foobar 2000) and stored as folder.jpg. Artist folders also have a folder.jpg. There are various other pic files also, cdart.png, logo.png, fanart.jpg. Even artisit.nfo and album.nfo for use in Kodi.

I also have a couple of custom radio stations that have lost their thumbnail links, tenuous link I suppose but all the facts can only help. They work fine, just lost the logo and I don't care enough to fix it right now.

I've also had a nose through /var/log to try and get some pointers but no leads I can spot.

Hope someone can help.
How many tracks in your collection?

I'd start by looking at the moOde log for errors from thmcache.
Code:
cat /var/log/moode.log

Then dump the file list from the MPD database and see if there is anything unusual or if the cmd dies.
Code:
telnet localhost 6600
list file
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim, I've given the old girl a reboot.

"VIEW cache status:  Cache is empty"

Hit re-gen...

"VIEW cache status:  Processing album 1 NAS/LosslessDownloaded/A Perfect Circle/Eat The Elephant"

Code:
cat /var/log/moode.log

shows

Code:
20190220 141948 thmcache: Start

about 10 minutes ago. I suspect it'll hang there ad infinitum.

Code:
telnet localhost 6600
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
OK MPD 0.20.0
list file
.... PAGES OF OUTPUT
file: NAS/MP3s/ZZ Top/Tres Hombres/11 Waitin' For The Bonus (Live).mp3
file: NAS/MP3s/ZZ Top/Tres Hombres/12 Jesus Just Left Chicago (Live).mp3
file: NAS/MP3s/ZZ Top/Tres Hombres/13 La Grange (Live).mp3
file: SDCARD/Stereo Test/LRMonoPhase4.flac
OK

No errors. lib is circa 22,800 files. FLAC, MP3s, DFF & DSF. lib managed by foobar2000.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.
If list file completes then it would suggest that thmcache.php must have crashed for some reason while trying to process the first album directory.

You can confirm this by running the cmd below after clicking update or re-gen. If it returns nothing it means that thmcache.php crashed.

Code:
pi@rp1:~ $ pgrep -l thmcache.php
30636 thmcache.php

Feel free to zip up that directory and email me a download link. I'll see if I can repro.
Enjoy the Music!
Yep, the thumbnailer is toast. I'll email over the download link as soon as it's ready.

Code:
pi@moOde:~ $ pgrep -l thmcache.php
pi@moOde:~ $

I'm conflicted between hoping I've done something daft but wasting your time and having done everything right and finding a bug.

Thanks, Jon
I copied the folder "Lossless - Downloaded" to a USB stick containing my test albums and no issues generating the thumbnail image.

Enjoy the Music!
One other thing I'd check is free disk space using the cmd below. There needs to be enough available space on /dev/root to store the thumbnail images.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       2.9G  2.0G  783M  72% /
devtmpfs        460M     0  460M   0% /dev
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           464M  7.8M  456M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   44M   22M   22M  51% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
pi@moode:~ $ 
Enjoy the Music!
There is space aplenty in /dev/root, 26GB.

I had a tinker yesterday trying to simplify the NAS mount path. That made no difference. I removed white space and apostrophes.

I typically mount 3 folders also and reduced it to a single NFS mount as you can see from my df output. Alas the thumbnailer dies on a the first file scan again.

The only difference now between your testing and mine is the location of the music files. NAS fails and USB is cool. I'll digging out a USB stick and test the thumbnailer working on that source exclusively.

I'm sure we'll nail it eventually. I might start looking into my NFS exports. Currently the NAS NFS exports only "Music" and the Hifi Berry mounts child folders. Probably nothing as the music is found, indexed and streamed like that just fine. I guess I'm thinking out loud.

Code:
pi@moOde:~ $ df -h

Filesystem                                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                                   29G  2.0G   26G   8% /
devtmpfs                                   460M     0  460M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                      464M     0  464M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                      464M   14M  451M   3% /run
tmpfs                                      5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs                                      464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1                              43M   23M   21M  52% /boot
bsss:/BIGSMELLYRAID2/Music/Dad/FLAC-Owned  972G  371G  602G  39% /mnt/NAS/FLAC-Owned
tmpfs                                       93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
pi@moOde:~ $

VIEW cache status:  Processing album 1 NAS/FLAC-Owned/A Perfect Circle/Mer De Noms