Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

A developer tool to build a Moode image
(07-18-2018, 02:22 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 12:16 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Nice! I'll check it out.

If you wouldn't mind, create a Thread in the Test Team section to discuss APT-X and AAC codecs for Bluetooth.

-Tim

So I see openaptx is used to gain aptx capability. Quoting from the openaptx github README.md

Quote:This project is for research purposes only. Without a proper license private and commercial usage might be a case of a patent infringement. If you are looking for a library, which can be installed and used legally (commercial, private and educational usage), go to the Qualcomm® aptX™ homepage and contact Qualcomm customer service.

I'm just saying....

Regards,
Kent

The disclaimer is clear.
But before buying a license I'd like to try the feature.
Anyway I'm not distributing it, I will set this feature as optional and I will set a disclaimer during the build.
In this way the builder will be the responsible for its usage.
(07-18-2018, 02:27 PM)badbat75 Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 11:48 AM)FizzyTea Wrote: Hello @badbat75 I have used your tool to build moode 4.2.
I entered interactive mode to add files ssh, wpa_supplicant.conf, moodecfg.txt before flashing using etcher and booting the image.
All seems good initially.
However when I attempt to edit /var/www/js/scripts-panels.js I am told (by nano)

Code:
File '/var/www/js/scripts-panels.js' is unwritable

Permissions look normal compared to permissions on moode 4.2 built with mosbuild. Root is the owner and has read-write permissions.
Doing some tests I try to create some blank files. Using 'sudo touch test' I am told

Code:
touch: cannot touch 'test': Read-only file system

For /var/www/js & /var/www this is the case.
I am however able to create a blank file (using sudo of course) in /var/

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

By default, /var/www is mounted on squashfs that is a readonly filesystem. If you want to disable during the build add ENABLE_SQUASHFS=0 before bbbuild command:

Code:
ENABLE_SQUASHFS=0 ZIP_FORMAT=XZ ./bbbuild moode-r42

Thanks @badbat75 !
(07-17-2018, 10:48 AM)badbat75 Wrote: Hi guys,
I released a completely new build tool that offers more functionalities and boost up more the build of moode.
@badbat75
I build a moode-r42 image using your tool this evening and accepting all the defaults (nitpick: the script in bbbuild-2.0 is named "bbbuilder", not "bbbuild").
The log file appears to be reasonably  clean. I did note an interesting warning with bluez which I haven't digested.
Code:
01:08:37  configure: WARNING: You have enabled support for aptX encoding. Note, that
01:08:37  configure: WARNING: by default bluez-alsa will use openaptx library, which
01:08:37  configure: WARNING: does NOT perform any encoding/decoding.

The resulting image booted and moOde initialized. Everything seemed to work until I got to Bluetooth. 
When I turned on the Bluetooth controller, the moOde UI went into permanent "arrow circling" while waiting for the page refresh. The relevant syslog message says /usr/bin/hciattach is missing. 
Looks like there's a missing dependency. Or am I missing something?

(note added next morning): I see hciattach and other hci* sources are contained in the tools subdirectory of rel-stretch/other/bluetooth/BlueZ-master-4e926f8.zip but many aren't shown in the log to have been compiled. The mystery deepens.

Regards,
Kent
Bluetooth also gave me problems. No access to config panels when Bluetooth is switched on.
Also the build took significantly longer than mosbuild - over 2 hours on a pi3. I had already previously built an image and noted no significant improvement in build time second time around.

I would suspect user error on my end (as this is all a learning experience for me) but I just turned off squashfs and ran the build script as instructed.
As an expedient, I copied over /usr/bin/hciattach and /usr/bin/hcidump from a moode-r42 I built with mosbuild.sh.

Now the moode-r42 I built with @badbat75's tool is working, including Bluetooth configuration.

Emboldened, I tried using a pair of Sennheiser HD-450BTNC headphones I just picked up in the Amazon Prime Day sale. The aptX codec is baked into their firmware. 

Hcidump shows that the moOde Bluetooth stack negotiated the use of the aptX codec instead of the default SBC (subband codec) during the connection phase, so the stack knows it has the openaptx codec available. Once connected though, I'm getting a rhythmic pulsing noise with a roughly one-second interval instead of music when I hit play. 

Time to create a new thread devoted to the codecs, as Tim suggested.

Regards,
Kent
(07-19-2018, 01:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: As an expedient, I copied over /usr/bin/hciattach and /usr/bin/hcidump from a moode-r42 I built with mosbuild.sh.

Now the moode-r42 I built with @badbat75's tool is working, including Bluetooth configuration.

Emboldened, I tried using a pair of Sennheiser HD-450BTNC headphones I just picked up in the Amazon Prime Day sale. The aptX codec is baked into their firmware. 

Hcidump shows that the moOde Bluetooth stack negotiated the use of the aptX codec instead of the default SBC (subband codec) during the connection phase, so the stack knows it has the openaptx codec available. Once connected though, I'm getting a rhythmic pulsing noise with a roughly one-second interval instead of music when I hit play. 

Regards,
Kent

Many thanks Kent for your feedbacks. I'm trying to sort-out the problems you described.
Anyway, thank you again for testing the APTx codec. Unfortunately I don't have any aptX reproduction devices so I couldn't test it, but I'd like someone will test aptx codec as sink device to see if it works: if not, it means this codec can't be used at the moment.
(07-21-2018, 06:31 PM)badbat75 Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 01:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: As an expedient, I copied over /usr/bin/hciattach and /usr/bin/hcidump from a moode-r42 I built with mosbuild.sh.

Regards,
Kent

Many thanks Kent for your feedbacks. I'm trying to sort-out the  problems you described.
Anyway, thank you again for testing the APTx codec. Unfortunately I don't have any aptX reproduction devices so I couldn't test it, but  I'd like someone will test aptx codec as sink device to see if it works: if not, it means this codec can't be used at the moment.

I think my inability to stream music to my headphones is just a confirmation of the Warning message about openaptx which I posted about earlier. As you can see in my post today about the Creative BT-W2 adapter, I have found a hardware/firmware solution which bypasses the Bluez stack.

Then there's the AAC codec. I don't have any devices which use AAC over Bluetooth (do Apple products?) so I can't test it.

Regards,
Kent
New bbbuild version 2.0.1

Code:
Changes in moode-4.2 bbbs:

[*]Enable build deprecated modules on bluez stack in order to include hciattach and hcidump
[*]Removed aac and aptx codecs in bluetooth stack because they are not working properly
[*]Remove squeezelite.zip after build

You can find more information here:
https://github.com/badbat75/bbbuild/releases

And download it from here:
https://github.com/badbat75/bbbuild/archive/2.0.1.zip

Command line usage:
https://github.com/badbat75/bbbuild

You can build your moode running:

Code:
Code:
ZIP_FORMAT=XZ ./bbbuilder moode-r42
(07-21-2018, 09:40 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 06:31 PM)badbat75 Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

Many thanks Kent for your feedbacks. I'm trying to sort-out the  problems you described.
Anyway, thank you again for testing the APTx codec. Unfortunately I don't have any aptX reproduction devices so I couldn't test it, but  I'd like someone will test aptx codec as sink device to see if it works: if not, it means this codec can't be used at the moment.

I think my inability to stream music to my headphones is just a confirmation of the Warning message about openaptx which I posted about earlier. As you can see in my post today about the Creative BT-W2 adapter, I have found a hardware/firmware solution which bypasses the Bluez stack.

Then there's the AAC codec. I don't have any devices which use AAC over Bluetooth (do Apple products?) so I can't test it.

Regards,
Kent

Until further investigations, I disabled AAC and APT-X codecs from build because both are not working, sorry for the mistake.
Regarding AAC codec, the reproduction is completely muted. For this I'm going to go in deep, but it is very difficult to sort out. I see the packet going from device to RPi in debug mode but there's no audio signal incoming in bluealsa-aplay.
I'm going to raise a ticket in bluealsa github.