Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Poll: On the future version of moOdeaudio you choice a extra option
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
with reading extra lyrics from media files
14.29%
1 14.29%
without reading extra lyrics from media files
85.71%
6 85.71%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Reading lirycs from media files
On the future version of moOde will be option readeing lirycs (text) from media files.
Please write your opinion about this option. Have you this option or not
I have many (about 9k) files with build lyrics and covers in media files.
Any known program can't present this data (only one - PowerAmp for android).
(04-07-2019, 07:49 PM)Jedrek Wrote: On the future version of moOde will be option readeing lirycs (text) from media files.

I can understand your point, but I'm listening to music, not reading it :-) so I voted "No".
If Tim wants to implement it, I don't mind, but I just don't use it...

Johan
 :@
(04-07-2019, 07:49 PM)Jedrek Wrote: On the future version of moOde will be option readeing lirycs (text) from media files.

I can understand your point, but I'm listening to music, not reading it :-) so I voted "No".
If Tim wants to implement it, I don't mind, but I just don't use it...

Johan
 :@

Lyrics on display... All the karaoke bars Galaxy-wide will be equipped with MoOde Players !!!

Returning to Earth... I thought that music is usually listened for relaxation (many times the eyes are closed), for dancing, as a companion while carrying out noiseless activities, while driving, etc... Music lyrics are best kept in PRINTED form IMHO Angel
I didn't vote because it's not an issue I care about. Sure, it's nice to follow along in the libretto of an opera, but I don't want to do that on my phone.

Practically, it would take some work to implement. All the major tagging schemes include a metadata field for lyrics but MPD does not pass it through to moOde (see MPD tags). Hence, every time moOde begins playing a track from the tracklist, it would have to parse the metadata in the file to see if a lyrics field is present and, if so, extract the contents. I'm supposing there's Zend routines that would help deal with parsing ID3v2, iTunes, Vorbis/FLAC, APEv2, etc, metadata but that's Tim's province.

As well, some thought would have to be given to how the extracted text is to be presented to the user. Perhaps it would be yet another panel along with some sort of icon/button in the playback panel for indicating the presence of lyrics and for switching the view to them.

Regards,
Kent
I'm guessing that players that display lyrics are prolly doing a web lookup to one of the sites that offers lyrics since as you point out there's no support for the tag(s) in MPD. If the site is any good they will probably require an auth token and will have a license of some sort. Good side project for a willing dev.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Rather, I mean that standards allow adding to the sound files also other information (tags), eg covers, or song lyrics. Of course, I was probably misunderstood because my suggestion is an option (optional or not by the user), and if an audio file already has additional information, e.g. song lyrics, why it could not be displayed, of course only after setting this option global.
He took my idea, so I do not understand those who write that you do not need such a function. Nobody forces anyone to do this option in the program!
That's it in the subject, I'm sorry for daring you to go with such an idea.
At least I hope that the covers will be read properly embedded in sound files, as other programs do.
Generally moOde reads embedded covers without any problem whatsoever. Reports of issues have been infrequent over the past 4 years and 99% of the time the issues that are reported are due to corrupt files or non-standard metadata headers.

Other players may use cover extraction code thats customized to be more tolerant of non-standard headers than the code moOde uses which is based on the Zend Media class libraries. These class libraries implement the audio format standards. I can never rule out bugs even in Zend but there are simply not enough trouble reports to warrant an investigation.

As far as options go, anything can be made an option in moOde. We try to include options that are the most useful, interesting and that most users want.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
There’s support for lyrics in id3 metadata but it’s not currently supported in mpd:

https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/issues/350

If/when mpd adds it to the main line then we can look into it, though I’m not sure about karaoke moode. Wink