Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Large library - performance (5.3 VS 4.4)
Hi Tim and everyone,

I have 2 systems (RPI 3B+ - Ethernet - SD CARD Class 10 - Music on USB Key (exfat) - 10575 mp3 files), one with moOde 4.4, one with moOde 5.3.

On 4.4, performance is good when i navigating on differents views, scrolling is fast, no freezes, covers loading is fast (even with 400px), all is responsive.
No problems.

On stock 5.3, i have mostly problems with radio view and albums by artists view (exact same library and usb key for both system).
When i go to radio view, there is a freeze maybe 4,5 secondes (even more sometimes) before i can do anything, covers loading take also few seconds.

After the freeze, it's OK, i can play radio, it's responsive again.

When i go to albums by artists view, same issue, freeze for few seconds, covers loading is quite slow. I can't load anything for some times.

Scrolling is not as fluid as 4.4 (micro freeze, i can see time in playbar not changing for 1 or 2 seconds).

It make the navigation quite frustrating especially on mobile (it's worse), each time i switch view to radio or albums, i have the sames problems, it make the whole system unresponsive.
(sometimes, i have this error on mobile during freeze:
Code:
http://moode/js/jquery-1.8.2.min.js:2 script not responsive

Genre/Artists/Albums and folder views are OK.

Im running both system simultaneously and differences on performance in radio and Albums By Artists view are very noticeables.

On 4.4 i can go to radio or albums by artists views, clear/play, it's instantaneous, no freeze, covers loading is fast.

I have the problems on mobile android (firefox/chrome) apple (safari) and windows (firefox/chrome).

I tried to delete all the covers from /var/local/www/imagesw/thmcache/* on 5.3 system, no differences.
I tried to switch SDCARDs (to eliminate hardware failures), no differences.
I tried wifi, no differences.
I tried 3 differents SDCARD (2 class 10 and 1 class 4), i even tried to copy all my library on a 200 go SDCARD instead of USB key, no differences.

I think i have the problems since beginning of moOde 5 series, i noticed this before, but at the time, i had a very bad sd card, so i thougth it was that.

With smaller library i didnt experience those problems.

With 5000 titles, situation is better, but not as good as 4.4 with 10000 titles.

I tried to remove any external causes i could imagine, im open to suggestions.

Thx for reading.
I think @swizzle has a large collection ~ 20K tracks. Maybe he can comment.

Try using VFAT (Fat32) instead of ExFAT.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@TookaFace, @Tim Curtis

I don't think this is a large library issue per se.

I just updated three moOde players from r5.2 to r5.3. One is running on an RPi2B (Ethernet) one on an RP3B+ and the third on an RPi3A+. The latter two are both connected wirelessly.

I have a modest 5000 track (500+ albums) library on a NAS accessed via SMB.

I've had only a few minutes to play with r5.3 so far, but using Chrome on my Nexus 6P Android phone has been excruciating because of laggy UX responsiveness when switching between Radio, Directory, Genre/Artist/Album, and Album-by-artist views, but especially switching back and forth between Radio and Album-by-artist. I'm seeing long delays before the switch occurs and even the little microphone/grid icons in the top-center widget are slow to catch up with the selected state.

The situation seems much better with Chrome and Safari on my iPad and better yet with Chrome on my Linux Mint laptop. Even with these, I can detect minor delays. For example, if I switch from Album-by-artist to Radio view, the Radio icons show up very fast but there's a delay of up to a second or so before I can scroll through them.

Like I said, I've only just upgraded and I haven't had time to characterize this well. For example, I haven't had time to work out how long it takes the radio/album icons to fill on first use. As well, I should probably pull out a old Nexus 9 Android tablet to compare with the iPad I use now.

Regards,
Kent

PS - another puzzler. With Chrome or Safari on my iPad in portrait mode, it seems sometimes impossible to hit the microphone icon to switch from Albums view to Radio view, although it's always possible to switch from to, say, Directory view and then from Directory view to Radio view. No problem going from Radio to another view.
I will try FAT32 tomorrow.

Quote:I've had only a few minutes to play with r5.3 so far, but using Chrome on my Nexus 6P Android phone has been excruciating because of laggy UX responsiveness when switching between Radio, Directory, Genre/Artist/Album, and Album-by-artist views, but especially switching back and forth between Radio and Album-by-artist. I'm seeing long delays before the switch occurs and even the little microphone/grid icons in the top-center widget are slow to catch up with the selected state.

This is exactly my experience. Thank you for your test.
I will run more tests as well tomorrow, you could be right, its maybe not a library size issue.
No need to try FAT32 based on @TheOldPresbyope post.
Enjoy the Music!
(06-06-2019, 05:12 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @TookaFace, @Tim Curtis

I don't think this is a large library issue per se.

I just updated three moOde players from r5.2 to r5.3. One is running on an RPi2B (Ethernet) one on an RP3B+ and the third on an RPi3A+. The latter two are both connected wirelessly.

I have a modest 5000 track (500+ albums) library on a NAS accessed via SMB.

I've had only a few minutes to play with r5.3 so far, but using Chrome on my Nexus 6P Android phone has been excruciating because of laggy UX responsiveness when switching between Radio, Directory, Genre/Artist/Album, and Album-by-artist views, but especially switching back and forth between Radio and Album-by-artist. I'm seeing long delays before the switch occurs and even the little microphone/grid icons in the top-center widget are slow to catch up with the selected state.

The situation seems much better with Chrome and Safari on my iPad and better yet with Chrome on my Linux Mint laptop. Even with these, I can detect minor delays. For example, if I switch from Album-by-artist to Radio view, the Radio icons show up very fast but there's a delay of up to a second or so before I can scroll through them.

Like I said, I've only just upgraded and I haven't had time to characterize this well. For example, I haven't had time to work out how long it takes the radio/album icons to fill on first use. As well, I should probably pull out a old Nexus 9 Android tablet to compare with the iPad I use now.

Regards,
Kent

PS - another puzzler. With Chrome or Safari on my iPad in portrait mode, it seems sometimes impossible to hit the microphone icon to switch from Albums view to Radio view, although it's always possible to switch from to, say, Directory view and then from Directory view to Radio view. No problem going from Radio to another view.

Is this only 5.3 or is it same on 5.2?

Try this change:
Code:
sudo nano /var/www/js/jquery.lazyload.js

Change threshold from 200 to 0

Refresh browser (multiple times) to ensure the updated JS is loaded

Also on your Desktop or iPad open Chromes javascript console and see if there are any errors.

My iPad mini is no showing the "puzzler" that you mentioned.
Enjoy the Music!
@Tim Curtis @TookaFace
I had these exact issues as well on a RPI 3B+ connected to WiFi on 5.2 to the point where I thought it was a PSU problem. Upgrading / reinstalling the kernel to 4.19.46 with rpi-upgrade and resetting the saved network configurations from the UI fixed most if not all lag. My library is 14,000+ tracks with high resolution cover art and the system has felt responsive (particularly with a higher threshold in lazyload.js).

@TheOldPresbyope
I have your puzzler from time to time as well - always blamed it on my chubby fingers but interesting to hear it’s not just me.
Hi @Pieter,

If possible can you test with a fresh moOde 5.3 image?

Thanks,
-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
I don’t get extreme lag but did notice some stickiness to the radio tab that I think is due to a problem with one of the external code libraries we use, my guess is the difference between 4.x and 5.x is that is when Tim switched over to use lazyload for the radio images as well. I mentioned this earlier in the test section but my code base is considerably different from the main branch so wasn’t sure if it was a general bug or related to other changes.

Anyway good news is there’s probably a fix that still lets us use lazyload there, bad news is it’s probably too messy for DIY.
Using unique lazy classes may be the fix. I'll post the two updated JS files tomorrow for testing :-)
Enjoy the Music!