Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

volume set to 100% after bluetooth connection
Hi there.
I have a problem with volume settings after connection a bluetooth device.
When i connect a device with bluetooth the volume is set to 100% automatically. This happens to me on Android and Win10. Is there a way to prevent this from happening within Moode? Like set a start volume after a device connects.

I already have experienced two almost heart attacks because of this issue.. Pff..
If the audio device has a hardware volume controller it is set to 0dB (100%) whenever Airplay, Bluetooth, Spotify, Squeezelite connection is made. This is done because the client Player (iTunes, Spotify, LMS, Youtube etc) is controlling volume.

When the connection is subsequently terminated normal moOde volume is restored.

Try to describe your usage scenario where 0dB is not the correct configuration.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim, thank you for replying and thanks for your great software!
Some more info here:
I'm using a HDWR REV= Pi-3B 1GB v1.2 with Audio device= HiFiBerry DAC+. Moode: moOde 5.3 2019-05-30
freshly installed on microsd.

Scenario:
I pair my samsung galaxy s7 phone to moode. when pairing is succesfull the volume on my phone for bluetooth audio is set to 100% immediately. I dont understand why the volume is set to 100% without touching my phone. Is this a Android thing or Moode? All other volumes levels on my phone are normal.
For spotify i can set a initial volume in the Spotify Config page within moode. Can this be added for bluetooth too as a limiter?
I don't have any Android devices to test but for sure I've never seen this occur on my IOS devices. AFAIK there is no option in the Bluetooth stack for setting an initial volume on the client.

You mention that other volumes on the device are are OK so which specific volume gets set to 100%?

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
@spaceinvader

This may just be another Samsung thing. They heavily modify Android releases.

I just tried my Nexus 9 phone (Android 8.1.0) against a fresh moOde r5.3 running on an RPi3A+ with the Bluetooth renderer and the Bluetooth pairing agent enabled.

Media volume setting on the phone was ca 25 percent. Ran "pair new device" on the phone, paired and connected with moOde. The moOde playback screen now shows the 'Bluetooth Active / Nexus 6P' overlay.

Media volume setting on the phone remains the same at ca 25 percent.

My other Android device is a Nexus 9 tablet which, like the Nexus 6P phone, is running a pretty pure Android (7.1.1). I can test it if you like but I would expect the same result. 

Regards,
Kent
I've got the same problem with the Hifiberry Amp+.
The problem is related to how bluez-alsa stack manage the hardware volume.
I opened an issue on their project some time ago, but not being able to sort out...

https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa/issues/125
(06-10-2019, 09:22 AM)badbat75 Wrote: I've got the same problem with the Hifiberry Amp+.
The problem is related to how bluez-alsa stack manage the hardware volume.
I opened an issue on their project some time ago, but not being able to sort out...

https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa/issues/125

Ah, so I should have added a DAC with hardware control capability to my test. My quick-n-dirty test was with onboard audio only because I was too focused on the Android aspect. Sorry for introducing a red herring.
The on-board Pi audio has hardware volume but this issue is about volume being set to 100% on the client. I've never seen this on any of my IOS devices and you mentioned that you don't see this on your Android devices. I'd conclude that this issue is unique to certain Android devices.
Enjoy the Music!