Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: mpdignore errors
Continue to struggle with moOde 5.0 and higher as I can not get files on NAS to synch up without tons of errors. At the suggestion of another user I placed a file called mpdignore ( just one line "@eaDir")  in the root of the music folder. But that has not resolved the issue. Below are a few examples of the errors in the system log. 

Code:
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/02-Green Flower Street.flac/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/03-Ruby Baby.flac/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/06-The Nightfly.flac/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/07-The Goodbye Look.flac/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/04-Maxine.flac/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/05-New Frontier.flac/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/01-I.G.Y..flac/.mpdignore: Input/output error
Jun 26 07:31 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Curated/Donald Fagen/The Nightfly/@eaDir/donald_fagen_the_nightfly_1982_retail_cd-front.jpg/.mpdignore: Input/output error

The error message is always the same however the files with an error are not always the same. Using a fresh image I might get 300 albums that are fine and 1,400 will have errors. The next time it could 184 albums with close to 1,500 errors.

NAS is a Synology ds415play which has been working fine with moOde since 3.* 

As an aside I do not have this issue  with moOde 4.4, Audirvana, JRiver or Volumio.

Hope someone out there might rush in and save the day. Cheers
Hey,

In moOde 4.4, MPD version is 0.20.20.

In changelog of 0.20.21 MPD version you have this:
Code:
- simple: allow .mpdignore comments only at start of line

So my guess, try to revert back to 0.20.20 mpd version.

EDIT: In moOde 5.0, it seems MPD version is also 0.20.20 and 0.21.6, so i dont know, i could be wrong.
In 5.2 it's 0.20.23.

Are u sure your were using 0.20.20 version with moOde 5.0 ?
@Onionhead

Sorry, I have a house full of guests this week and I'm not able to do any debugging/testing.

I remember poking around your issue last month.

Since you say you can use your NAS with other music players which incorporate MPD, I no longer believe you have an MPD issue per se. Hence, playing games with .mpdignore will accomplish nothing.

At a guess, this problem is a clash between 1) Synology's funky internal file-indexing system, 2) you using NFS as the file exchange protocol, and 3) moOde's code to find coverart. I don't believe it would arise if you were using SMB because Synology seems to be gracious enough to not expose its indexing through SMB. 

But that's still conjecture. If you're still stuck after the 4th of July I can try testing with the virtual DS3615xs I set up last month.

Regards,
Kent
Talk about short-term memory problems. I forgot how far I got in May when i ran tests with my virtual DS3615xs --- http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...1#pid10241

I tried then with both NFS and SMB protocols and couldn't reproduce this error. A quick check now, again with both protocols, doesn't reveal it with a running moOde 5.3.1 either.

Now back to my guests before they miss me (nominally I'm washing the breakfast dishes!).

Regards,
Kent

PS - This virtual NAS is running DSM6.1-15047 (2017/02/23). I don't know that size matters but this NAS has only about 50 tracks in several subdirectories.
I see here: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...6#pid10196 you were using 0.21.6 version with moOde 5.0.

So i recommend to do the test with moOde 5.0 and MPD 0.20.20.

Other music player with MPD could use older MPD version, i believe Volumio used a 0.19 version.

For me the NAS create the .mpdignore files in his indexing folders (like that, mpd ignore those folders when scanning), but with 0.20.21, format of those files change a bit, so it explain the presence of errors in the logs, MPD 0.20.21 can not read them anymore because of that change.
@TookaFace  - Thanks for the suggestions. I will get more details about the mpd version when I return home this evening.

@ "TheOldPresbyope" - Sorry to keep coming back to the well. If I haven't cracked it by the 4th will holler back at ya.

Until then 4.4 is just fine by me.
(06-26-2019, 02:20 PM)TookaFace Wrote: I see here: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...6#pid10196 you were using 0.21.6 version with moOde 5.0.

So i recommend to do the test with moOde 5.0 and MPD 0.20.20.

Other music player with MPD could use older  MPD version, i believe Volumio used a 0.19 version.

For me the NAS create the .mpdignore files in his indexing folders (like that, mpd ignore those folders when scanning), but with 0.20.21, format of those files change a bit, so it explain the presence of errors in the logs, MPD 0.20.21 can not read them anymore because of that change.

Just did fresh install of 5.0. I can confirm moOde 5.0 with MPD 0.20.20 exhibits the same behavior i.e. mpdignore errors galore just like moOde 5.3.1. Don't remember if moOde 4.4 used 0.19 or 0.20.20   but it works just fine.

Have tried every version of moOde 5* on each of my four  RPI 3 B + devices with the same error reporting.  
The NAS has several share folders each of which has music files but there is ONLY one folder I try to synch. Volumio reports out that there are ~ 1,700 albums which matches with moOde 4.4 when I select re-gen covert art. Today after doing fresh install of 5.0 with MPD 0.20.20 the number of albums was 284.
Ok weird indeed !

In general input/output errors means hardware failure, but since it work with Volumio or moOde 4.4, it's not that.
Have updated to 5.4 and connected to Synology NAS using NFS. Once synching has completed there are hundreds of mpdignore errors. Basically, same issue as previously reported. Was wondering if UPNP is a workable alternitve. If so would anyone have pointers on how I might setup with moOde?

Thanks