Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

moOde 5.4 Beta 2 is available
There is nothing showing in my Pi4 1G.
I downloaded the ZIP, extracted, written to 8G micro SD card.
Nothing shown up, red led solid on, green led flash for first 1 second.
LAN LEDs both always on no flash.
(07-05-2019, 12:02 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @jmarcusg

The point is that the RPi4 runs much hotter than previous models---seems the inevitable fate of getting more powerful chips onboard. The Internet is all atwitter at the thought that changes to the microcode will help but early indications are that this will be only marginally helpful.

I hate the thought of a fan but I'm thinking active air cooling will become necessary if I stuff one of these babies into my cabinet.

Sadly the RPi4 remains a unicorn---heard about but never seen. USA distributors have been crushed by orders. I placed two orders the day of the launch but I guess I'm already in the second or third tranche.

Regards,
Kent

I'd like to see temps < 60C during normal operation as an audio player. Thats roughly a 15C reduction from stock!

To get there it will probably take a correctly attached passive CPU heatsink plus a bit of under-clocking / under-volting, plus the firmware changes. I would probably use a razor thin layer of thermally conductive epoxy to attach the heat sink rather than that thick thermal tape.

Thermally conductive adhesive - Fast cure (4min)
https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Ther...pons&psc=1

Medium cure (45min)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTV1TXA/ref...1cac8dc9d1
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
RPi4 overheating is an issue already known by Raspi foundation.
There is a beta firmware that chills the USB controller that seems to be the root cause.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Raspbe...888.0.html
Anyway this CPU need an active cooler to avoid thermal throttling
PI4 2GB, IQaudio Pi-DAC PRO, IQaudio case(without two side panels, those not fit with the PI4)
About 12h countinous playback from NAS without any problems with FLAC or DSD files. Checked temperatures few times, highest results below.
CPU: 1.5 GHz | LOAD: 2% | TEMP: 63▒C | RAM_USED: 11% | DISK_USED: 18% | FPM_POOL                                                  CPU: 1.5 GHz | LOAD: 1% | TEMP: 64▒C | RAM_USED: 11% | DISK_USED: 18% | FPM_POOL                                                   CPU: 1.5 GHz | LOAD: 2% | TEMP: 64▒C | RAM_USED: 11% | DISK_USED: 18% | FPM_POOL  
CPU: 1.5 GHz | LOAD: 1% | TEMP: 65▒C | RAM_USED: 11% | DISK_USED: 18% | FPM_POOL
CPU: 1.5 GHz | LOAD: 2% | TEMP: 63▒C | RAM_USED: 11% | DISK_USED: 18% | FPM_POOL  
CPU: 1.5 GHz | LOAD: 2% | TEMP: 64▒C | RAM_USED: 11% | DISK_USED: 18% | FPM_POOL

Wow. MPD update for over 22000 files is now superfast with the Gigabit Ethernet from NAS :-)
Nice :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(07-05-2019, 02:04 PM)badbat75 Wrote: RPi4 overheating is an issue already known by Raspi foundation.
There is a beta firmware that chills the USB controller that seems to be the root cause.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Raspbe...888.0.html
Anyway this CPU need an active cooler to avoid thermal throttling

I’m not sure throttling will be a big concern with a mostly headless app like moode that does very little to tax even the pi3b. I got a shipment delayed notification instead of a Pi 4 though so it’ll probably be a while before I get a chance to try it out.
moOde 5.4b2 (and 5.3.1 for that matter).

Don't recall seeing anyone else question this but the time display on the Playback panel behaves counter to my expectation:

If in time-up mode, it counts up as the track plays til it reaches the total time of the track, 03:15 say, clears to 00:00 when the track ends---fine---but then resets to the total time, here 03:15, and continues running as if it were a wall clock.

No problem in the time-down mode.

I usually use the time-down mode and didn't notice this behavior until just now.

Regards,
Kent
I can repro. It happens on last track in playlist. I'll investigate later today.
Enjoy the Music!
Fixed :-)

Plus made some other updates and fixes for Buster.

- The code that calculates local display resolution (for example Pi 7" Touch) was returning wrong values due to Overscan being enabled by default on Buster. This requires a new setting in /boot/config.txt.
- Changing local display screen brightness caused the System config screen to crash. This was due to PHP 7.3 enforcing strict argument count in function calls.
- Changed PHP session save path to /run/php. The /run dir is mounted as a ram based file system. This adds to the performance of the already great perf of the PHP 7.3 stack :-)
- I noticed that MiniDLNA has been bumped to 1.2.1 in Buster :-)

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(07-07-2019, 01:32 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Fixed :-)

Plus made some other updates and fixes for Buster.

- The code that calculates local display resolution (for example Pi 7" Touch) was returning wrong values due to Overscan being enabled by default on Buster. This requires a new setting in /boot/config.txt.
- Changing local display screen brightness caused the System config screen to crash. This was due to PHP 7.3 enforcing strict argument count in function calls.
- Changed PHP session save path to /run/php. The /run dir is mounted as a ram based file system. This adds to the performance of the already great perf of the PHP 7.3 stack :-)
- I noticed that MiniDLNA has been bumped to 1.2.1 in Buster :-)

-Tim

Nice.

Plus, Debian Buster just went gold so Raspbian Buster is now on solid ground.

Got a nice email from Chicago Electronics explaining why they haven't shipped an RPi4 I can test with yet (and why they don't know when they can); not a peek from Newark.

Regards,
Kent