Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Very Loud hissing sound/static on some songs
Hi All,

A weird issue of Very loud Hissing sound (static), dangerous enough to damage speakers(volume control goes to maximum) when playing some mp3 and some flac files crop up in the moode 4.1 version and raspbian stretch lite 2018-03-13. I am using rpi 3b + allo piano 2.1 + Allo Kali Reclocker.

Weird enough it also has the exact same problem with the latest Volumio 2.389 version.

My friend who has the exact same setup also confirmed the problem.

It does not have this problem when I take out the Kali Reclocker, using only the Piano 2.1 dac + rpi.

The fact that the problem is on both Moode and Volumio leads me to suggest that it must be the fault of a common software update used by both the player softwares.

Another weird thing is that it still plays many flac songs perfectly.

Any thoughts on how to fix the problem will be appreciated.

Kay.
Hi Kay,

Allo has acknowledged a compatibility issue between Kali and the new 4.14.y Linux kernel but I don't have any information on what they plan to do to fix it.

The workaround is to set SoX resampling to 32 bit / * kHz in MPD config.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-03-2018, 02:19 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi Kay,

Allo has acknowledged a compatibility issue between Kali and the new 4.14.y Linux kernel but I don't have any information on what they plan to do to fix it.

The workaround is to set SoX resampling to 32 bit / * kHz in MPD config.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the superfast info.
Cheers.

Kay
Sure no prob. Looking back at my notes, the 4.14.y kernel included some fixes to 24-bit audio and apparently Kali does not like the corrected 24 bit data.
Enjoy the Music!
Hi,
Since version 4.1, I have a problem that music sometimes starts to hissing music. KALI reclocker starts blinking blue and red.
Three days back I started a new clean installation 4.2. Three days worked very well and yesterday morning after power on the RPI + 5 minutes of listening to music began to hissing again. In addition, the remote control stopped working (LIRC is working but irw cmd does not respond to the buttons on the remote control) and sometimes the dual mode does not work after the restart, the left channel is played.
Everything I did extra is installing a remote control via LIRC and a spotify connect.
I supply the RPI with a linear power supply. It delivers exactly 5V and the relay attenuator has only 4.8V but that should be enough. On version 4.0 I did not have similar problems on the same audio setup.
Does anyone have advice where can be a problem? Possible self-switching between 32bit and 24bit?
I apologize for my bad english Smile
Thank you all

My setup: RPI3B+, Kali reclock, Piano 2.1 and relay attenuator, DIY linear power supply, Sox 32bit/ *khz
See post #3 above.
Enjoy the Music!
Hi, 
I have still problem with KALI and 24bit music. mp3 songs and spotify work well without hiss. But all 24bit music is hissing. I was try set Sox to all frequencies but nothing work. All 24bit music hiss even SoX adjusted to 32bit/*kHz(384kHz). Is there any possible solution how to repair this problem, than I will throw KALI through the window? 

Thx

Px