Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: UpnP / Synology NAS
Need some help overcoming contuning NFS Synology NAS issues (mpdignore & failed input/output) with MoOde 5.3.1.  Not ever been able to get SAMBA scan to work, so I wonder if UPnP might be an option. Is there a recommended Linux package that should work with my NAS, something like MinimServer?

Thanks
(07-30-2019, 06:25 PM)Onionhead Wrote: Need some help overcoming contuning NFS Synology NAS issues (mpdignore & failed input/output) with MoOde 5.3.1.  Not ever been able to get SAMBA scan to work, so I wonder if UPnP might be an option. Is there a recommended Linux package that should work with my NAS, something like MinimServer?

Thanks

In these three sentences you've named three distinctly different file-sharing protocols: NFS, SMB (as implemented in SAMBA), UPnP (apparently referring to UPnP A/V Media Service) and two different server solutions: Synology (its DSM, actually) and MinimServer.

Do you know that your Synology NAS is capable of serving files via all three protocols (well, the more tightly spec'ed DLNA in the case of UPnP media service)? It all depends on configuration settings you have to specify. Read the Synology user guide.

However, in the case of UPnP and moOde 5.3.1, you'll have to run moOde in its UPnP renderer mode and use a separate UPnP control point (such as Linn Kazoo, Linn Kinsky, or BubbleUPnP, or others on a phone or tablet) to connect moOde with the NAS-based UPnP/DLNA Media Server. This is old business.

The as-yet unreleased moOde 6.0 introduces an exciting new feature: the ability to add an external UPnP/DLNA server as one of the music sources in its Library. This is version of moOde is currently currently in beta test (moOde 5.4 beta2). I'm only just now getting around to testing this feature myself.

Regards,
Kent

PS - you know how when you take your car in for maintenance they don't just want to know it's a Toyota/Ford/whatever---they want to know details like the year, the model/body type, the engine, the add-on packages, etc.?

It's the same when you ask for help here. It's not just a Synology NAS. It's a specific model (like a DS218) running a specific version of the DSM software (like v6.2). It may have specific add-on packages installed and enabled (like Audio Station). It may have specific services enabled (like SMB, etc.). The services may have specific parameter settings (like the minimum SMB protocol setting). Details matter.

I'm still puzzling over the fact that users report such difficulty with their moOde and their Synology NAS when I had no difficulty bringing up a virtual Synology NAS running DSM 6.1 and serving files to moOde via both NFS and SMB. In the case of SMB, I suspect it may be a mismatch in protocol version settings. In the case of NFS, perhaps it's directory/file access permissions. Without details, it's impossible to know.
(07-30-2019, 11:46 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(07-30-2019, 06:25 PM)Onionhead Wrote: Need some help overcoming contuning NFS Synology NAS issues (mpdignore & failed input/output) with MoOde 5.3.1.  Not ever been able to get SAMBA scan to work, so I wonder if UPnP might be an option. Is there a recommended Linux package that should work with my NAS, something like MinimServer?

Thanks

In these three sentences you've named three distinctly different file-sharing protocols: NFS, SMB (as implemented in SAMBA), UPnP (apparently referring to UPnP A/V Media Service) and two different server solutions: Synology (its DSM, actually) and MinimServer.

Do you know that your Synology NAS is capable of serving files via all three protocols (well, the more tightly spec'ed DLNA in the case of UPnP media service)? It all depends on configuration settings you have to specify. Read the Synology user guide.

However, in the case of UPnP and moOde 5.3.1, you'll have to run moOde in its UPnP renderer mode and use a separate UPnP control point (such as Linn Kazoo, Linn Kinsky, or BubbleUPnP, or others on a phone or tablet) to connect moOde with the NAS-based UPnP/DLNA Media Server. This is old business.

The as-yet unreleased moOde 6.0 introduces an exciting new feature: the ability to add an external UPnP/DLNA server as one of the music sources in its Library. This is version of moOde is currently currently in beta test (moOde 5.4 beta2). I'm only just now getting around to testing this feature myself.

Regards,
Kent

PS - you know how when you take your car in for maintenance they don't just want to know it's a Toyota/Ford/whatever---they want to know details like the year, the model/body type, the engine, the add-on packages, etc.?

It's the same when you ask for help here. It's not just a Synology NAS. It's a specific model (like a DS218) running a specific version of the DSM software (like v6.2). It may have specific add-on packages installed and enabled (like Audio Station). It may have specific services enabled (like SMB, etc.). The services may have specific parameter settings (like the minimum SMB protocol setting). Details matter.

I'm still puzzling over the fact that users report such difficulty with their moOde and their Synology NAS when I had no difficulty bringing up a virtual Synology NAS running DSM 6.1 and serving files to moOde via both NFS and SMB. In the case of SMB, I suspect it may be a mismatch in protocol version settings. In the case of NFS, perhaps it's directory/file access permissions. Without details, it's impossible to know.

I agree your points regarding providing details does make sense and I should have done so.  Is there a problem reporting template?

The issue "mpdignore Input/output error" started with 5.0 moOde on a Synology DS415 play running DSM 6.2 whilst trying to add an NFS music source. I do not have any audio station or any third party dlna/UPnP packages installed.

I have 3 other Pi3 running moOde 4.4 connected to the shared music folders on the Synology DS415play, all are working normally. Audirvana seems to work just fine as well.

At this point might be best for all if I just use what has worked in the past and wait for 6.0. Thanks again for your contributions to this project.
@Onionhead

Quote:At this point might be best for all if I just use what has worked in the past and wait for 6.0. Thanks again for your contributions to this project.

I hear you but if we can't figure out the root cause and fix it, then you'll still be dealing with work-arounds when 6.0 is released. 

Thanks for the details on your NAS. That helps me cast out some of my conjectures and focus on some others.

Regards,
Kent