Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: WiFi (AP) and CAT-5 together
(03-06-2021, 04:45 PM)vinnn Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 03:54 PM)Klatsoot Nekry Wrote: Hi, all. May be poking a dead horse, here. Got Allo USBridge Signature. Want to use wifi for interface, use ethernet to network with Rasp Pi 4 NFS server (with attached hdd that holds my music collection). Why? Two reasons: not possible to run ethernet across my apartment (music setup is in living room, wifi router in bedroom); read that galvanic isolation of ethernet makes it a better way to connect to hard drive. I know that I'm sacrificing audio quality, maybe, by using wifi dongle (which I have yet to get working!).

Anyone point me down the appropriate paths?

Be assured that you're not altering sound quality in the slightest by using WiFi, the LAN is not part of the audio chain at all. Just use WiFi.
If for some reason your WiFi isn't working or is unreliable get yourself a pair of Powerline network adapters.
Thanks, vinnn and Tim. 

Re: powerline adapters: no go on that one. Apartment is from the 1920's, and our wiring/circuit breakers are not up to the task.

I managed to get my contraption to work, and I'm not really sure how. All I know is that I have spent the last hour doing a celebratory dance around the apartment. 

Moode is getting my music over NFS from a Raspberry Pi 4 with connected 2TB HDD, acting as server over ethernet, and the Allo USBridge is getting wifi from a TP-Link dongle that took an enormous amount of arcane fiddling to get working. 

Happy ending: IT SOUNDS GREAT. I didn't think this would be such an enormous improvement in my audio, but it is. All smiles so far...
Right, eth and wlan can both be active. Its AP mode and eth that are no allowed. Ill fix my earlier post.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-21-2019, 02:20 PM)psychofaktory Wrote: That feature has been requested for several times now.

I've posted an instruction how you can turn Moode to a real Access-Point for MoodeOS 4.1:
Turn Moode to a real Access-Point

I didn't test if thats still working in MoodeOS 6.2.1

I would appreciate this as an integral feature part of MoodeOS, as at least some other users have this usage scenario.

@Meestor_X:
If you find a better/easier way to achive this in MoodeOS 6.2.1 I would be happy if you share your solution with us.

I've seen my post I linked above has been deleted.

(03-06-2021, 10:14 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Right, eth and wlan can both be active. Its AP mode and eth that are no allowed. Ill fix my earlier post.

Is it still the behaviour that AP mode is not possible while a LAN connection is active?

In several moode installations at friends' houses, I have the situation that only a LAN connection is available on site and no WLAN. This LAN connection is needed by Moode to access the music collection on a NAS.
However, it should be possible to control Moode via smartphones.
This is no problem with the AP mode. However, the music collection cannot be accessed at the same time...

It would therefore be extremely helpful if Moode could keep the AP mode even with an active LAN connection.

As mentioned above, I have workarounded the problem under MoodeOS 4.1 by making manual adjustments to allow simultaneous use of AP-mode and LAN connection by following the procedure described in the now deleted post.

Now I would like to update Moode.
However, since then, Moode has undergone far-reaching adjustments, so I assume that my former procedure will no longer work in this way.

If this function would be a fixed part of Moode, it would also make future updates for this case much easier.
The question about this functionality has been asked several times in the forum over the years. There has also been some confusion about why the AP mode was suddenly inactive when a LAN connection was established.
I therefore see the need for this as a given.
In any case, it would be a great added value.
(06-29-2022, 08:37 AM)psychofaktory Wrote: In several moode installations at friends' houses, I have the situation that only a LAN connection is available on site and no WLAN. This LAN connection is needed by Moode to access the music collection on a NAS.
However, it should be possible to control Moode via smartphones.
I'm not sure what the issue is here. Are you saying there is ONLY LAN and no wifi at all in these locations and so there's no way to connect any "wireless only" device into the local network?
----------------
Robert
(06-29-2022, 11:16 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: I'm not sure what the issue is here. Are you saying there is ONLY LAN and no wifi at all in these locations and so there's no way to connect any "wireless only" device into the local network?

Yes, exactly this.

There are only a few wired devices there, such as smart TVs, that do not need to communicate with each other, but only need internet access.
And the smartphones access the internet via LTE.

Only to control Moode from the smartphones would a WLAN be needed.
And Moode provides an access point function as a matter of principle. Therefore, it would be unnecessary to purchase an extra WLAN access point just for this purpose.
It's hard to justify the work effort to implement and support WiFi / Ethernet bridge mode in moOde for the rare case where there is only Ethernet and no WiFi network at a location. Your best bet is to get a cheap WiFi AP from Amazon. They are only $20.
Enjoy the Music!
(06-29-2022, 02:01 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It's hard to justify the work effort to implement and support WiFi / Ethernet bridge mode in moOde for the rare case where there is only Ethernet and no WiFi network at a location. Your best bet is to get a cheap WiFi AP from Amazon. They are only $20.

I understand that, of course.

Would it then be possible, instead of building a WiFi / Ethernet bridge mode into Moode, to completely deactivate the internal WLAN function and simply install RaspAP instead?
(06-29-2022, 03:24 PM)psychofaktory Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 02:01 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It's hard to justify the work effort to implement and support WiFi / Ethernet bridge mode in moOde for the rare case where there is only Ethernet and no WiFi network at a location. Your best bet is to get a cheap WiFi AP from Amazon. They are only $20.

Would it then be possible, instead of building a WiFi / Ethernet bridge mode into Moode, to completely deactivate the internal WLAN function and simply install RaspAP instead?

If you do not specify any SSID for the wlan it will automatically set itself up as AP...
(06-29-2022, 04:15 PM)Nutul Wrote: If you do not specify any SSID for the wlan it will automatically set itself up as AP...

Yes, I know.
But then LAN gets also disabled.
So no hotspot function.
But a hotspot function ist that what I need. And what RaspAP does.
(06-29-2022, 03:24 PM)psychofaktory Wrote:

The Pi's internal WiFi adapter can be disabled in System Config but that is not what I think you are asking. 

I don't have any experience with RaspAP and thus I don't know what effect it might have on moOde's routines that configure and manage the WLAN interface. Disabling those routines would require modifying and testing several modules. It's a no-go for me but maybe another dev will take a look at it.
Enjoy the Music!